DEMONSTRATION DRAFT: Prior to each semester, the Action Lab application matching process creates up to 5 teams of Hartford community partners, students, and faculty fellows, who will work together to research and offer solutions to a real-world problem. Teams typically include a community partner, a faculty fellow, and about 4 students (combined from Capital Community College and Trinity College), whose work will be supervised by the Action Lab Director. We also consider other arrangements, such as two community organizations that pair up on a broader research question, with up to 8 students and one or more faculty fellows. Contact us if you have questions or need help with our application process.
Roles and eligibility:
- Hartford community partners are broadly defined to include neighborhood groups, non-profit organizations, government agencies, social entrepreneurs, and others focused on the city. Submit a one-paragraph proposal about a problem that you’d like a team to help solve (or more specifically, a research question that you’d like help to answer) and how this project would improve Hartford and/or its relationship to the metropolitan region. Must be available to meet with the project team at least once a month (either Tues, Wed, Thurs, or Fri afternoons) at our downtown campus. Share your interests and submit your proposal on the Partners page.
- Students from Capital Community College and Trinity College are invited to apply to enroll in the Action Lab course (meets Monday afternoons) and to join a project team (meets either Tues, Wed, Thurs, or Friday afternoon). Both will be taught by the Action Lab Director at our downtown campus. Successful students will earn the equivalent 2 Trinity credits or 6 CCC credits. Share your interests and list your project preferences on the Students page.
- Faculty fellows are invited to apply to a project team, in order to provide academic guidance and evaluate student work for at least one semester. Must be available to meet with project team at least once a month (either Tues, Wed, Thurs, or Fri afternoons) at our downtown campus, plus one additional pre-semester meeting of all faculty fellows. (The Action Lab Director will supervise teams of students on a weekly basis.) Full-time or part-time faculty, advanced graduate students, or staff with subject or method expertise, from CCC, Trinity, or other institutions in the Hartford Consortium for Higher Education, are welcome to apply. Faculty fellows may receive $1,000 to compensate their time for one semester, which may be paid as an stipend/honorarium or as reimbursement for related expenses. Share your interests and list your project preferences on the Faculty page.
- Step 1: Share your name and interests in Hartford (August-September 2017)
- Step 2: Prospective community partners submit proposals (September 2017)
- Step 3: Action Lab Advisory Board prioritizes proposals (early October 2017)
- Step 4: Prospective students and faculty fellows list preferences (October 2017)
- Step 5: Action Lab forms teams (late October 2017) to begin in January 2018
Contact us if you have questions or need help with our application process.