“Mentor” is Just a Fancy Name for “Replacement Mom”

So as promised in an earlier post, I will now tell you about my Mentor/Mom, Roxanne.

So as part of the First Year Program freshman are required to take a First Year Seminar. This seminar comes with one big perk…a mentor! Each seminar has at least one mentor, whose main job is to be a resource for whatever you need. My seminar decided to become more like a family than a class, and since most of us live in the same dorm its was pretty easy to bond. On the first day we met with Roxanne, who told us that she was here for us, for anything, from homework help to hang-out sessions. Over the last two months she has helped me countless times. She often gets calls or texts from her little duckies (that’s what she call us as a whole) at all hours of the day and we get an almost immediate response. She edits papers, helps with homework, takes us to get dinner sometimes, and yells at other TA’s for us. She pretty much takes care of us the way our parents would. She is our biggest supporter, coming to our events or just hanging out after class, and I don’t know what I would do without her!

Today, when she was going to be in New York for a few days, and the entire class groaned. Not because we need her to help us with homework, but because she is going to be out of reach and because we will miss her. Our seminar professor just laughed at us. Then Roxanne just said, “I know my little duckies, but mommy needs a job.”

I did not know about Trinity’s mentor program until I got a letter from Roxanne in the mail over the summer, but now that I have her, I am even more happy with my decision. She is always there when I need her and even when I dont. She has created a little family and I am so glad I get to be a part of it. So thank you Mom, you’re the best!

Your Duckling,

Angela

Class of 2015 , , ,