Trinity Women at the Summit

One of the amazing things about being a Trinity student is the opportunity to meet our successful alumni.  A Trinity education does not stop in the classroom and extends around the world.  Last Thursday evening it took me to the Junior League Club in New York City for a Women’s Leadership Council event.  I was feeling nervous about starting my final semester.  After attending this event I feel confident about my goals for entering the working world.

Attendees ranged from current students to alumnae preparing to celebrate their 30th reunions.   We were all there to build the Trinity women’s network.  The experienced alumnae shared their experiences and wisdom about the world of work. Sophie Goodwin ’12 said, “Listening to the unique alumnae journeys and relishing in their stories was an invaluable opportunity. I am still in touch with someone I met at the same event last winter.”  It means a lot to current students to be supported and welcomed by the larger Trinity community.

Me and “The Moderator” Cornie Thornburgh

My favorite part of the event was the panel of four women moderated by Trustee Cornie Thornburgh. The mood was light as they shared stories about the twists and turns of their inspiring careers. We heard from Chanel executive Kimberly Marth Bohner ’91, non-profit leader Alexis Brashich Morledge ’90, JPMorgan banker Jean M. Walshe ’83, and  Wally Findlay gallerist Stephanie Borynack Clark ’96.  Their stories were encouraging and helpful.

Top 5 Things to Remember:

1. Be Confident! You have a lot to offer

2. Develop a wide-eyed approach to your job search. You never know which job could end up changing your life.

3. Cultivate the writing, communications and analytic skills you developed at Trinity

4. It’s ok to make mistakes–we all do (including the panelists)

5. Do your research!! Know about the organization for which you are applying. If you want to work for Chanel, its important that you have at least approached a Chanel counter in a department store.

The women were excellent examples of what Trinity alumni can accomplish. Fiona Brennan ’15 said, “even as a freshman the event was helpful and gave me insight to the professional world I expect upon graduating.” As we were leaving Fiona said ,”I hope all female students will take advantage of the opportunities the Women’s Leadership Council offers.”

It is just another example of why a Trinity education is the asset of a lifetime.

Avatar of kvansick

About kvansick

About me: I love to talk Trinity. Having graduated last May, I suppose it’s no surprise I’m still here in Hartford, starting my career engaging alums. I grew up in Princeton, New Jersey with my parents and younger brother, but am becoming increasingly comfortable in the “Hart beat”. Trinity is special because of its combination of talented faculty, intimate size, and handsome campus. I feel so lucky to be here now, viewing Trinity from an administrative perspective, and getting to meet the fascinating people that comprise our pool of alumni. Trinity students are given the freedom and the tools to flourish into their best selves and I am privileged to meet with them at this time in their lives. This blog will chronicle my visits across the eastern seaboard meeting alums and hearing their stories!
Bantam Banter, Class of 2012, New York City , , , ,