How a Small School Degree Takes a Large City

I walked into my summer internship on the first day of orientation and sat down assuredly at large meeting table, excited to meet a variety of individuals who I didn’t know would soon become some of my closest friends. As all of us interns made small talk and waited for a supervisor to begin our orientation presentations, I immediately felt at ease due to way that we all automatically meshed as a cause of our mutual love of social media. As we went around the room and played an icebreaker, everyone announced their year and where they were attending college. A chorus of large universities such as “U Michigan, Boston University, Sacramento State,” filled the air as I followed them up with “Trinity College… In Hartford, Connecticut…”

I’ve never felt insecure about going to Trinity, and within that moment, I certainly didn’t feel apprehensive about my decision to attend a small liberal arts school. But what I didn’t yet know was how my Trinity College experience and the holistic approach that a liberal arts school provides would come to my aid in “the real world.”

I had known from a Career Trek with Trinity’s Career Development office that HR departments placed a particular value upon students graduating with a liberal arts education, but I had no idea as to why. Was it because these students got to experience smaller class sizes? Or because they had a greater opportunity to meet with their professors and advisors one-on-one? Or did it have to do with the myriad of distribution requirements that most liberal art schools require? The answer was all of the above.

I started off my summer internship journey in one department, and then ended up bouncing from that area of the industry to two different departments. When meeting with the head of HR to switch from my original department, I became aware of how the range of diverse academic experiences that I had undergone throughout my Trinity timeline thus far could assist me in a variety of facets within this company. My involvement as a tour guide helped me on the Communications department for tasks that required outreach, my “Mafia” seminar that observed human reactions and decision making in regards to vice markets supported me with understanding how the Analytics and Insights department operates, and the writing skills that I have attained through Trinity’s various writing requirements helped me to prepare client briefs and decks for Account Strategy and Client Relations as I spent the majority of my summer interning with this department.

The malleability of a liberal arts education is incredibly valuable, and the working-world may help you come to appreciate general distribution requirements in a manner that you never would have originally believed.

This entry was posted in Academics, Advice, classes, New York City, Trinity. Bookmark the permalink.