It’s OK to be Homesick in College

As Parent’s Weekend has come and gone this semester, you may come to find yourself feeling a little homesick for your Mom’s cooking and your bed…and possibly your dog too. Whether you live just outside of Boston or halfway around the world, it is so easy to become homesick during your college years. Fortunately, Trinity creates an atmosphere that feels like one we are all living as one big happy family on our little campus! However, theres nothing wrong with the occasional twinge of sadness when you’d rather be cuddled up at home instead of in the library!

I’m here to tell you that being homesick every once in a while is a very real feeling, and it is OK. In many instances I’ve found myself denying my homesickness, when it was really affecting how I went about every part of my day. If you’re similar to me, you hold your family very near and dear to your heart, and being at school for long periods of time can make your heart ache for that family dynamic you are so comfortable with. If you are not fortunate to live close enough to Trinity where you could sneak away for the weekend, I have a few remedies for that homesickness tugging at your heart strings.

Make a FaceTime date and stick to it. Thanks to technology we have the ability to come face-to-face with our loved ones even if we’re hundreds of miles apart. Next time you are feeling in need of some family bonding, make a family group chat and figure out a time that every can sit down and reconnect. Although you can’t be at the dinner table together, at least with FaceTime and Skype, just being able to see a familiar face can make all the difference.

Recreate your favorite home-cooked meal. Trinity offers many spaces around campus where students can cook meals for themselves when they need a break from Mather. If you are craving a little taste of home, take a ride to the grocery store and grab the ingredients to a meal you love that you can only get from home. Call up Dad, or Grandma (or whoever knows the best lasagna recipe), and ask them to explain how they create your favorite dish. You can then head over to any of the freshman dorms, or borrow a friend’s kitchen on Crescent St. and get cooking! Even if you’ve never attempted your favorite dish before, it could be an awesome learning experience while also bringing a small piece of home to campus. It may not taste as good as it would from your own kitchen, but it may tide you over until the next time your home on break.

Talk to someone about it. There is absolutely no reason to be embarrassed about being homesick because it happens to everyone. You should never feel as though you have to hold it in either. The Trinity community is made up of so many wonderful Professors, Counselors, Coaches, and Administrators that are here for whatever you need. If you are simply looking for someone to listen, their doors are always open. Also, Trinity has an on-campus counseling center specifically for students looking for a little extra support. Don’t hesitate to take advantage of any of these amazing people at Trinity, they understand how hard it can be to adjust to new surroundings and how to cope with missing loved ones.

Homesickness creeps up on you when you least expect it, but don’t push it away immediately. Recognize that, even though college is an opportunity for newfound independence, we still need the support from the people that got us this far. If you are feeling a little down because Thanksgiving break is just too far away, take some time to call up Mom and Dad and tell them you love them. I promise you’ll feel a whole lot better afterwards.

About Olivia Ouellet

Trinity College Class of 2018 Majors: Political Science & Women, Gender and Sexuality
This entry was posted in Admissions, Advice, class of 2020, Community, fall semester, First Year, Hartford, Home, library, On Campus, Social Media, study abroad, Trinity. Bookmark the permalink.