Relay for Life: The Fight to End Cancer

Cancer is a disease I know has touched one too many lives, and continues to do so every day, however, the American Cancer Society works hard every day to move closer towards finding the end to this disease. Relay for Life is an annual fundraiser that celebrates those who have won their battle against cancer, remembers those who are no longer with us, gives support to those currently fighting, and gives thanks to those who have given care to cancer patients. A signature fundraiser for the American Cancer Society, all of the funds raised are invested in cancer research, as well as help provide free information, support, and guidance to cancer patients and their caretakers. Held around the nation, the event is typically 24 hours, and is a night filled with fun activities, heartwarming celebrations, and powerful ceremonies.

During my time at Trinity I have moved from just a club member, to head of the Development and Recruitment team, to now Vice President and member of the executive board. Alongside my other friends, board members, and club members, we work hard from the start of each year until mid-April, when the fundraiser night occurs. Spring semester is always more hectic, filled with activities and meetings in order to continue fundraising and more importantly, planning the event. There is more that goes into planning the event than most people realize. Each year the theme must be chosen; teams must be signed up and individuals must fundraise; event activities must be thought of, planned, and confirmed; restaurants must be called for donations and/or purchasing of food for the event night; advertising for the event through postings around campus and all campus activities, such as our annual Date Auction, must be scheduled; and much more. Although relay seems to become another full time class around spring time, I would not trade the stress and the hours for anything, as this club and this fundraiser give me the chance to do as much as I can to help serve the millions of people that cancer has and continues to affect. I am proud to be a part of something that not only allows me to lend a hand, but also gives me the knowledge to teach others how they can too become a part of the fight.

After participating for 6 years now, Relay for Life holds a very important place in my heart this year in particular, as I recently lost my uncle to a second battle of brain cancer, which he has been fighting hard for about three years now. With only three weeks left to organize, plan, and fundraise, I am hopeful that this year will be one of the best yet, and encourage you to look further into this incredible organization. If you would like to learn more about this fundraiser, visit their website at