Student Pathways

At Trinity, there are many opportunities for getting involved in Hartford through community learning, whether you are just arriving on campus or have been here for a few years. We offer ways to take action in the Hartford community by partnering with local people and organizations to address real issues through courses and research opportunities. Below you can explore several different pathways to connect your academic work at Trinity with community concerns in Hartford.

Beginning Students –

  • Community Action Gateway – Learn how to create change in your community in this first-year program where you engage with local community leaders and pursue research projects that encourage social change.
  • First-Year Seminars – Sign up for a first-year seminar that focuses on exploring Hartford.
  • CLI courses – Take classes that connect your academic learning with on-the-ground projects done in partnership with Hartford organizations.
  • Community Service and Civic Engagement – Volunteer regularly with local organizations and/or for one-time events by checking out the variety of opportunities available through this office.

Experienced Students –

  • Community Action minor – Create a professional portfolio of social justice and community-oriented work through this minor, which combines CLI courses and a culminating research or internship project to prepare you for future educational and career experiences including community-based research, public policy, and non-profit organizing and advocacy.
  • Internships – Gain invaluable on-the-job experience by working with a local organization. Students can receive course credit for their fall, spring, and summer internships. Summer interns can apply for Catalyst funding.
  • Liberal Arts Action Lab – Work collaboratively at our downtown campus with a team of students, faculty, and community partners to research and develop solutions on local problems. 
  • Research Fellows – Partner with a community organization for your capstone project to use this research experience as a way to create social change in Hartford.
  • Research Grants – Apply for the Levy (urban studies), Grossman (global studies), or Davis Projects for Peace (summer only) grants available through CUGS to fund your community-based research projects.

Whether you decide to start pursuing Community Action research as a first-year student or want to get involved as a senior, there are many ways in to CLI programs throughout your time at Trinity. If you are interested in enacting social justice work, putting your classroom learning into practice, or exploring Hartford more academically, get in touch with us. We would love to talk to you more about how you can get involved.