Facilitation Questions for 10/31/12 (Facilitators: Hollyn and Pauline)
1. (a) In what ways do the goals of Sheff and Hartford Public Schools conflict with one another?
(b) Why is this the case if both remedies serve to increase Hartford children’s access to a quality education?
(c) Can you think of any implementation methods or strategies that would allow the two to coexist in harmony or are they inherently at odds with each other?
2. What are the challenges and successes involved with the SmartChoices Project? Hint: Some may come from the reading, others may come from other topics we have discussed in class.
3. Assign groups and look at websites.
Group 1: Spanish speaking parents
Group 2: Hartford parents with children going into 1st, 6th, and 9th grade
Group 3: West Hartford parents with children going into 1st, 6th, and 9th grade
In your assigned groups, take a look at the following websites:
As a class we can discuss the following:
- What do you see on the sites?
- Are the sites easy or challenging to navigate through?
- What information is available on the sites?
- How long did it take you to find the Project Choice application?
- How might these sites affect who enters the lottery and who doesn’t?