Writing Samples

Senior Research Project : Policy Statements Versus Social Outcomes: An American Analyzing Assessment in France

11232892_1202749086409050_914605476253451130_n

In the spring of 2015, I had the opportunity to study abroad in Paris, France.  While in Paris, I observed classroom sessions in a French middle school, and questioned how the French system of assessment affects students, teachers, schools, and society. Based off of this experience, I designed my Senior Research project focused on the French middle school exit exam the Brevet des college.

My research project investigated the questions: What is the stated purpose of the Brevet exam in French education, and how do educators interpret these expectations in the French middle school, PIBS? What are the social consequences of the Brevet exam?

If you are interested in the findings of an American researcher in Paris please Read more !

In the fall of 2013, through a partnership with Connecticuthistory.org, I was able to tell the story of the dark history of discriminatory housing practices in West Hartford, CT.  Read the story here