The Trinity History Department has defined the following as the Learning Goals for our History majors:
- Develop critical and analytic skills in reading primary and secondary sources.
- Construct a framework of knowledge about the past , learn to understand the past in its own terms, and develop an empathetic understanding of disparate histories and cultures as constituting common threads of human experience.
- Understand how historians construct arguments about the past and learn how to do the same.
- Craft well-developed essays that make arguments about the past based on effective use of evidence.
- Pursue independent research based on primary and secondary sources.
- Engage in discussion about the past respectfully, mindfully, and knowledgeably.