Join us for “Careers with a Conscience: Ed Studies Alumni in Non-Profits and Government,” Sunday April 15th at 6:30pm

Posted on

Join us for a discussion, “Careers with a Conscience: Ed Studies Alumni in Non-Profits and Government,” on Sunday, April 15th, 2012,  from 6:30-7:30pm, in Seabury S205 at Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut.

We have invited alumni who have worked in non-profit organizations and governmental agencies across several fields, including youth development, family and children’s services, school finance, fair and affordable housing, libraries & museums, and other areas. Each guest will speak for five minutes to share their experience and offer advice to current Trinity students, with time for Q&A and discussion. Some will speak via online videoconference and others will join us in person. See comments below from alumni and students who plan to participate, and add your own. Students: click here if you plan to attend.

This event follows up on a related discussion about “Pathways to Teaching” with Trinity alumni in October 2011, which focused on classroom teachers. We plan to host more discussions like these in the years to come.

Confirmed guests:

Jessica Wagner (Ed Studies & Anthropology '07)
Cory Edmonds (Ed Studies & Sociology '08)
Arthur Hardy-Doubleday (Ed Studies & American Studies '03)
Claudia Dresser (Ed Studies & Hispanic Studies '10/IDP)
Hilary Cramer Robinson (Ed Studies & Sociology '05)
Gloribel Gonzalez (Ed Studies & Political Science '08)

Questions? Email Jack Dougherty, Associate Professor and Director of Educational Studies, or student event coordinator, Danyelle Doldoordian.

8 thoughts on “Join us for “Careers with a Conscience: Ed Studies Alumni in Non-Profits and Government,” Sunday April 15th at 6:30pm”

1. Hi everyone! My name is Jessica Wagner, and I graduated from Trinity in 2007 with a double major in Educational Studies and Anthropology. After Trinity, I decided to do a year of Americorps service with City Year. I worked as a Service Leader in charge of a team of corps members at PS 308 in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, where we ran several school-wide educational initiatives. During my year of service, I realized that I really enjoyed working in a behind-the-scenes role organizing different projects and programs, and decided I wanted to continue to do this in a school-based setting. I got a job as the Special Projects Coordinator on the founding team at Bed-Stuy Collegiate Charter School, part of Uncommon Schools. Being part of the founding team of a start-up was a very eye-opening/exhausting/rewarding experience! After working there for two years, I knew I wanted to go back to school, so I decided to take some time off to apply to graduate programs. In the meantime, I began working on the operations team at PAVE Academy Charter School, an elementary school in Red Hook, Brooklyn. I left there at the end of last school year when I moved for grad school, and am now completing my masters in Education Policy and Management at Harvard Graduate School of Education. I look forward to speaking with you about my experiences in the nonprofit sector and your interests via Skype. Thanks to Jack for putting this together!

2. Hey Everyone:

My name is Cory Edmonds and I am currently an Associate at Education Resource Strategies, a non-profit strategy consulting firm based in Watertown MA, where I focuses on mapping district resources and helping districts understand how their resource allocation strategies align with their overarching student goals. Currently I am working with the Newark NJ school district. Prior to joining ERS, I was a Business Systems Analyst for Harvard University, where I worked in the Office of the Chief Financial Officer supporting the university’s suite of financial applications. In the past, I have also served on the Board of Directors of Compass Youth Collaborative, a non-profit organization located in Hartford, CT, that provides after school programs and gang prevention services to local youth. I am super excited to talk with you all about possibilities in the education sector. I just finished the graduate school application process a few months ago as well so I’d be happy to talk with folks about that as well.

Thanks,

Cory

3. Hello,
    My name is Gloribel Gonzalez, I graduated from Trinity in 2008. After graduating I began to work with the CT Fair Housing Center a non-profit organization that focuses on investigating housing discrimintation. As a Fair Housing Specialist, I investigated the alleged discrimination actions or policies. In addition, I conducted many training sessions throughout CT educating residents of their rights under the Fair Housing Law both at the State and Federal Level.
    I currently work with Support Enforcement Services within the CT State Judicial Dept. As a Support Enforcement Officer, I work closely with state and federal agencies to operate the CT Child Support Enforcement Program. I work with many residents in the Greater Hartford area helping parents with enforcement and modication of their child supports.

I’m looking forward to talking to you all about my experiences.

4. I graduated from Trinity with a double major in American Studies and Education studies in 2003. My first job was as a community organizer, starting out with Broad Park Development Corporation (a community development corporation). Six months in I moved on to serve as operations manager of the Coalition to Strengthen the Sheldon/Charter Oak Neighborhood (“CSS/CON’). At that time I was CSS/CON’s second full time employee in addition to the executive director. We had three part time community organizers. I learned a lot about running a non-profit/small business because it was my responsibility, among others, to identify opportunities to increase revenue through grants and program development. I moved on to work in non-profit development full time at Amistad America, the non-profit who cares for the tall ship Amistad. After Amistad I entered graduate school for my JD/MBA while working part time in development at the Farm Institute.

While program development/fundraising is fun, I missed my community organizing days and returned to the affordable housing sector as a Rappaport Fellow at MassHousing, Massachusetts’ quasi public bank for affordable housing. In that capacity I worked on Low Income Housing Tax Credit (“LIHTC”) and 40B (the state affordable housing land use law) deal analysis. After MassHousing I moved on to work at the Cambridge Housing Authority in their planning and development department. There I worked on policy analysis for PETRA (a section 8 stream line initiative), the redevelopment of a 303 unit 18 story high rise, and the LIHTC finance of a 42 unit $18 million housing development in Cambridge’s Central Square.

I left government at the end of 2011, mainly because it was not moving fast enough for me. I missed the days of a fast moving small office where decisions can be made quickly, and pivots can occur without committee review.
    Presently, I am involved in Boston’s start community, working on my own start up. Conception Fund is an equity crowdfunding platform for startups and small business. I am applying my background in public finance along with my small business/development experience, to get Conception Fund off the ground. Conception Fund will apply the recently signed Job’s Act to provide investing opportunities in startups that otherwise would have been legally prohibited.

My advice to seniors or recently graduates is to seek risk in the early years of your career. Likely you will apply for graduate school a few years down the road. You want to have a unique story to tell when you apply and seek post graduate employment. While you can follow the heard and go work for a large corporation of non-profit, likely you will have far less responsibility than what you are capable of handling. Working for smaller organizations offers more responsibility but also present less job security. Now is the time to create your personal brand. Sitting in a cubicle with 1000 other herbs is not much a brand (sorry cubicle herbs).

5. Hi everyone. My name is Hilary Cramer Robinson, and I graduated from Trinity in 2005 with a double major in Educational Studies and Sociology. Very early on in my Trinity career, I knew I wanted to work in the field of education, specifically with low-income youth. I joined the “I Have A Dream” Foundation – New York in 2005, and have served in many distinct roles over the last six years. The organization’s mission to empower children and families living in underserved areas of the tri-state region to reach their college and career goals by providing a dynamic, long-term program of academic support, a diverse array of enrichment activities, and an assured opportunity for higher education.

I was initially hired as the Alumni Coordinator for a group of 96 students (called “Dreamers”) who had been in the program since third grade, and were transitioning to college. I then joined the Central Office Team as the Development Associate, supporting the Executive Director in all fundraising activities. During this time, I enrolled in a (part-time) Master’s program in Nonprofit Management at Milano The New School for Management and Urban Policy, which I completed in late 2010. Armed with my degree and experience within the organization, I now lead all aspects of our development efforts.

I am looking forward to talking to you all, especially about the exciting world of Community-Based Organizations and Education Nonprofits.

6. Hello, My name is Claudia Dresser. I graduated Trinity in 2010 and double majored in Ed Studies and Hispanic Studies. Not knowing what to do after Trinity and with no teacher certification, I decided to apply to a couple of graduate programs. I was accepted to one and came very close to another, the only Latina of 50 finalists from a group of 10,500! At that time I felt a little lost and disappointed at the thought of not continuing my academic career, but then I thought this could be an opportunity to see what’s out there. I ended up not going to graduate school and chose instead to focus on finding a job that would give me the same satisfaction I got from academic life. I landed a cool job working with immigrants at the Hartford Public Library. As cultural liaison, I helped with curriculum development for ESL and Citizenship classes, I coordinated interns and volunteers from UConn and local high schools, I collaborated with local non-profit leaders to organize events and programs, but most rewarding was the time I spent working closely with adult students from Peru, Argentina, Mexico, Somalia, Bosnia, Portugal, El Salvador, Jamaica, Poland and Burma. When I applied for the HPL job, I had also interviewed at the CT Fair Housing Center, but I had not heard from them so I decided to take the job at the library. Three months later, CFHC called me and offered me a position as a fair housing specialist. There, I began to see first hand the effects of the historic socioeconomic and political forces that continue to shape neighborhoods and cities. I help single moms on section 8 who are denied housing in towns because they are a racial minority, poor, and have children. I also help the elderly and people with disabilities that are victimized by landlords. I work closely with attorneys drafting letters to convince housing providers to do the right thing. I go out and speak to people at shelters and other non-profits about housing rights and the law. I coordinate and train testers to investigate fair housing complaints. For me, the work I have done for non-profits has been just as exciting, rewarding and engaging as the university classroom. I look forward to talking to you about my experience.

7. Hi Everyone,
    Sorry, I Can’t make it to the discussion, but I wanted to share a bit about my experiences. I graduated Trinity in December 2008 with a double major in Educational Studies and Psychology. In January of 2009 I began work as an on-site Co-ordinator for Sankofa Kuumba Cultural Arts Consortium, a Non-profit organization in Hartford that uses the arts and a connection to the African Diaspora to educate youth in tutorial and after school programs. After building a Service learning program for the organization, I decided to get more involved with schools. In 2010 I started working as a Classroom Advisor and Para-Educator and Achivement First Hartford Academy. There I was able to teach middle schoolers reading skills and enhance my basic teaching methods with rigorous staff trainings. My work with the special education students at the charter school lead me to look for more work in the pschological sector. After volunteering for two years on the Connecticut Sexual Assault Crisis Hotline, ConnSACS (a statewide non-profit [Connsacs.org]) offered me a job as a Counseling Victim Advocate in 2011. For the last year I’ve been working to help victims of sexual assault with post-conviction services, while educating the community about the supervision and misconceptions of sex crimes and offenders. My work with these three non-profit organizations has been very enriching and has greatly enhanced the skills I developed in the Education studies and Pscyhology programs offered at Trinity College.

1. I also currently serve on the Board of Directors for The Truth project Incorporated. A non-profit organization dedicated to educating youth about Juneteenth and Black History.