How to write an effective op-ed essay

For a different type of writing assignment, I sometimes ask students to compose an op-ed essay that succinctly communicates their point of view for readers of a general publication. ”Op-ed” usually refers to a signed opinion essay by an outside contributor that appears “opposite the editorial page” of unsigned opinions by the publication’s staff. Trinity students and faculty have submitted op-ed essays to local news publications, such as the The Hartford Courant (see submission guidelines, the recent op-ed page, and search for “Fresh Talk” op-eds by writers younger than 30 years of age) and the CT Mirror ”Commons” section.

See helpful advice from these guides to writing effective op-ed essays:

When preparing an op-ed essay for a course writing assignment, I require students to cite sources (for internal fact-checking only; remove them before submitting to a newspaper) and usually require a 1,000-word essay (to be shortened to an appropriate length before submitting to a publication).

This entry was posted in how-to-writing. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to How to write an effective op-ed essay

1. Fionnuala says:

I wanted to share this in seminar. While not perfect, an additional perspective. A pro-women’s rights perspective for the most part so it totally rocks in my book.
    http://www.theopedproject.org/