Pathways to Teaching discussion with recent Trinity Alumni on Tuesday, Oct 22nd at 6:30pm in Rittenberg Lounge

Come listen and learn from recent Trinity alumni who followed different pathways to teaching on Tuesday October 22nd, 2013 from 6:30-7:30pm in Rittenberg Lounge, Mather Student Center. Guests will appear in person and via web video conference to share their individual stories on how and why they became K-12 classroom teachers. Their personal advice expands on the Pathways to Teaching web pages hosted by the Educational Studies Program. All students are welcome, sign up if you plan to attend.

Courteney Coyne '10

Blake Fisher '11

Candace Simpson '12

Laurie Gutmann Kahn '03

Kate McEachern '07

Jesse Wanzer '08

Updated: Here’s a video broadcast of the event:

Participants: Laurie Gutmann Kahn ’03, Kate McEachern ’07, Jesse Wanzer ’08, Courteney Coyne ’10, Blake Fisher ’11, Candace Simpson ’12, and Jill Mack (University of Saint Joseph teacher licensure officer). Read their comments below for background.

Trinity alumni:

• Post a comment below to share your story before the event about the pathway you followed into the teaching profession. See examples from Fall 2012 and Fall 2011 events. Feel free to email me a recent photo of you to add to this page.
  • To participate in the event via video conference, register for a free Google+ account, then click on my Google+ profile to add me to your circles (and I will do the same). Test your settings ahead of time. When the event begins, log onto your Google+ page and look for an invitation from me to join our “hangout” video conference session, which will be recorded and publicly broadcast on the web.
  • To participate in the event in person, feel free to come early at 6pm for a light meal.
This entry was posted in Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Pathways to Teaching discussion with recent Trinity Alumni on Tuesday, Oct 22nd at 6:30pm in Rittenberg Lounge

1. Courteney Coyne says:

Hello friends,

My name is Courteney Coyne and I graduated from Trinity in May of 2010, with majors in Educational Studies, Global Studies and Hispanic Studies. My time at Trinity and in the Hartford Public Schools inspired my commitment to urban education, and motivated me to seek a degree in elementary education and become a classroom teacher.

After graduating from Trinity I attended the Lynch School of Education at Boston College, where I was a Donovan Urban Teaching Scholar. The Donovan Urban Teaching Scholars program is comprised of a cohort of students committed to the improvement of education in urban schools. While studying elementary education at BC I taught fourth grade in a Boston Public School.

I am now in my third year of teaching third grade at the Amigos School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Amigos is a public, dual-language immersion school where students receive 50% of their instruction in English and 50% in Spanish. The school’s primary objectives are the bilingualism and biliteracy of its students. Teaching in Spanish in an urban setting has allowed me to connect my Trinity majors and continue my education across multiple areas of interest. I look forward to speaking with you further about my pathway to teaching.

Very best,
    Courteney Coyne 2010

2. Kate McEachern says:

I graduated from Trinity with a double major in Psychology and Educational Studies in 2007. While earning my degree at Trinity I also obtained my teaching certification at Saint Joseph College. In the Fall of ’07 I student taught in a First Grade classroom at a Hartford magnet school. In January ’08, after student teaching, I took over a kindergaren classroom for a retiring a teacher and am now in my 6th year of teaching in Hartford. I have taught Kindergarten, First and Second grades and worked in 3 different schools and although it is challenging at times, I plan to stay in the district for many years to come. I stay connected with Trinity and work with the Educational Studies Department as a coordinator for Ed200 placements at my school. Currently, I’m teaching Second Grade at the Expeditionary Learning Academy at Moylan School (ELAMS) in Hartford. – See more at: http://commons.trincoll.edu/jackdougherty/2011/10/15/discuss-pathways-to-teaching/#sthash.OkdnIG4H.dpuf

3. Jason Haber says:

Hello,
    My name is Jason Haber. I graduated from Trinity in ’08 after majoring in American Studies while taking as many Ed Studies classes as I could as part of that while earning my elementary certification from St. Joseph’s. I then student taught in a 5th grade classroom in a public school outside of Hartford, and then moved to the New York City area. I began as an assistant teacher first at a charter school in Manhattan (1st grade) and then a private school in Manhattan (3rd) while earning my masters from Bank Street College of Education. I then got a head teaching job for 3rd grade in Brooklyn at a new private school and stayed there for 2 years before moving to New Jersey and moving on to a wonderful new private school where I am teaching 4th grade social studies.
    Please let me know if there are any ways I can help as you navigate the beginnings of the teaching profession!

4. Laurie Gutmann Kahn says:

Greetings, Trinity staff, students, and alumni! My name is Laurie Gutmann Kahn and I am a graduate of Trinity College class of 2003. After graduating with a major in educational studies and sociology, I taught special education in a self-contained classroom with the New York Teaching Fellows, an alternate route to certification program. I adored being in the classroom and was excited and challenged daily. I am currently a doctoral candidate at the University of Oregon in special education. I was the recipient of a leadership grant from the US Department of Education that funded my research and studies here in Eugene, Oregon. I am currently working as an adjunct instructor for Masters level special education coursework and as a supervisor for student teachers. I am looking forward to speaking with all of you about my experiences and how working with Jack and others at Trinity has given me a substantial practical and theoretical foundation for all that I have done and continue to pursue. See you soon!