HW #1

Kellen Self

Coll- 220

Database vs. Search Engine

Scenario 1) Used the EBSCO site and did a search for Brainwashing and media where it pulled the “Art of Contrary Thinking” This book had a couple pages that directly related to how people thought that not necessarily brainwashing would occur but how we are being persuaded (brainwashed) in everyday life. I used the normal search engine and then limited the publication date to the dates that I needed. For first person sources I made sure to use Patty Hearst and it came up with books and journal articals regarding the incident that happened. On EBSCO it was easy to limit my search to only books because I chose to only search for Ebooks not DVD’s. Google was very click driven where Wikipedia and other very recent publications would always show up first, making it very hard to limit publication dates, books, journal articles really anything to make the search specific.

Scenario 2) Worldcat seemed like the most effective database for finding articles and newspapers. Google news is also very effective. I found all kinds of news and magazines from popular sources on Google News that were related to the topic. Using the term technology and the brain and it came up with articles such as “How does science explain the storytelling aspects of our brain” which goes in to detail how our brain remembers key ideas and thoughts and how technology/storytelling can key into our memory. The terms I used for worldcat was: Technology, and cognition. I focused my search to popular news sources by choosing the database(s): Boston Globe, New York Times, Washington post, etc.

Scenario 3) I would use the database Sociological Abstracts for this search along with google. Google scholar can find solid reputable sources if you search for peer reviewed work. Using the peer reviewed work is an easy way also to find more books and articles that are relevant to your topic. It is one way that I have written multiple essays because it can find extra sources that aren’t always picked up in JStor or other search engines. Google can also be a good place to find graphs. The journal of health and social behaviors is an organization that posts about income inequalities. These are reputable because they are peer-reviewed organizations. The search terms I used were ‘Race’ and ‘Income inequality’. I focused my search on articles within the past 15 years that were peer reviewed, and journal articles.