Interview with Joshua Stillwagon

Questions

• Never taken economics before I went to college, but was interested in history and science. So it was a nice combination of the two. I get to do research on topics that I find interesting. An example would interest rates, exchange rates and the stock markets, value of the interest rates.
  • My dissertation advisor Michael Goldberg, study
  • Drawn to date on a peoples expectations, using models how people make their expectations but how people expect the stock or exchange rate to change.
  • A literature review, thinking about the topic reading early on, what other research has been done and what voids are within the topic and how I can address that.
  • I learned how to do research by doing econometrics.
  • Data availability can be frustrating not always there.
  • 50% of time spent on research depending on the time of the year.
  • I work with several different co-authors on different topics that he is currently producing. Typically work with multiple authors, but has done many solo papers. 3-4 person papers are much more common in economics now.

My interview was really interesting because it opened my eyes to the world outside of teaching for many professors. I saw many similarities between Professor Stillwagon and myself with how we approached going to college and how we decided on Economics. When I came to college my true passion was history but I didn’t see myself becoming a history teacher or professor and when I began to take economic classes at Trinity I was able to make a connection between history classes and my economic classes. In history every decision that has been made since the beginning of time has been a financial decision based on increasing the revenue of that person or empire. Everything that I have learned about so far within history has had an underlying sense of how it ties into different economic policies. I had wondered about how many different papers a professor typically worked on during the school year because you rarely hear them talk about the different works that they are currently interested in. It was interesting to see how my frustrations with a research project with lack of data or more importantly useful data is still apparent in the world of professionals. Sometimes I get frustrated with the idea with having to work with peers especially on a group project because you don’t know the quality that they will bring to the project and it was cool to see that even when you have a real job that there are certain qualities such as team work that are still incredibly important to the overall success of anything that can be accomplished.