Barcelona

9889f5f4e39340efdb38314647aeb5c1

I am interested in studying abroad in Barcelona to challenge myself both academically and personally.  I have never been to Europe.  Whenever I see photographs of sites like the Parc Guell and the Sagrada Familia, I am in awe.  I am so eager to “do” Spain and experience the culture, language, architecture, and people of Barcelona.

As part of this experience, I look forward to participating in activities that will broaden my world-view and give me a deeper understanding of my Hispanic Studies courses at Trinity.  This experience with Hispanic society and culture will give me a strong foundation for my future Hispanic Studies at Trinity and beyond.  Furthermore, knowledge of Spanish life and society will help me better understand the cultures and histories of native Spanish speakers.  Through interaction in the city, the classroom, and my homestay, I will be able to draw on a Hispanic frame of reference that will benefit me at Trinity and in the community.

As an adult student, carving out time for my studies can be difficult.  A summer in Barcelona will allow me the time I need to devote to my language studies by giving me a rare opportunity to focus solely on my education.  I hope to declare a minor in Hispanic Studies.  Learning a new language in adulthood is no small feat.  Through the summer program in Barcelona, I seek to improve my language proficiency by immersing myself in Spanish life and culture.  I am also very excited about the course offerings.  To study the city as scholars and then as explorers, what better way to learn than through engagement and interaction?  I am looking forward to the intensive language course to really boost my confidence and comfort in speaking Spanish.  Summer study in Barcelona would help me reach my goal of improved communication while fulfilling some of my foreign language requirements for graduation.

Studying abroad will also help me reach my personal goal to build lasting connections with like-minded individuals.  As a Student Technology Assistant and active member of the IDP community, I have made some incredible friendships with both traditional and IDP students on campus.  I feel that these relationships have been such an integral part of my personal and academic success.  I look forward to working closely with Trinity faculty and students throughout the experience and making friendships that will foster my love of Hispanic Studies on campus long after our study abroad experience has ended.

I will increase my understanding of the world, improve my language skills, and develop meaningful relationships by stepping outside of my comfort zone and keeping an open mind to different points of view.  I once read that travel is the only thing we buy that makes us richer.  My plan is to engage my mind, body, and soul in the city of Barcelona to get the most out of this amazing opportunity.