This past summer I was offered a coaching position at a new, upcoming lacrosse club. The club, 3d Lacrosse, began as a men’s club in Colorado, quickly spread to countless locations across the United States and has recently grew into a girl’s program as well. I was hired by one of the managers among the Colorado branch who understood my lacrosse background, particularly in the NESCAC conference. My commitment included one practice per week, which I was responsible for planning and coaching, and five tournaments, each of which lasted a full weekend and typically required travel time. Additionally, towards the end of the season I was responsible for evaluating and vetting new and old players at tryouts for the following summer.

Throughout this process I learned a set of skills I had yet to come across. First, I learned how to properly communicate a set of instructions or ideas to a large group, which brought about obvious struggles. Many of my players had different learning styles and I had to alter my explanations accordingly. Secondly, I learned how to remain professional under uncomfortable circumstances. This skill came about when parents and players would question and argue about playing time or sometimes placement on the team. Both of which involved high emotions and simulated professional difficulties that I could find in other professions. Thirdly, I learned how to be largely depended on. These girls, ranging between the ages of 12-14 were entirely dependent on me for not only lacrosse related support, but also mental, emotional guidance, particularly while away from home. Additionally, as I served as a mentor to the older players, I was depended on for college information and assistance such as contacting coaches and advocating for these prospective college athletes. Ultimately, it was a learning experience and I luckily was promoted to a head coach position this summer.