This past summer I served as an intern at the small boutique commercial real estate company, Calare Properties. Calare, based out of Hudson, Massachusetts, is a real estate operator, primarily focused on the acquisition and management of large warehouse, manufacturing, research and flex/office assets all over the Northeast. Run by a small team, Calare has managed to acquire and maintain over 15 million square feet of properties.

I was fortunate enough to work alongside the entire senior management team, namely, Bryan Blake, the President and Head of Portfolio Management, and Bill¬†Manley, the CEO and Chief Investment Officer. My day to day activities ranged from assisting with internal operations, to researching online sources and in-house databases to source potential clients and properties, to attending budget meetings or listening in on sales calls alongside the investor relations team. However, on occasion I had the opportunity to visit Calare’s acquired properties to better understand property management and tenant-landlord relationships.

Moreover, and complementary to my liberal arts education I was thrilled to have had the opportunity to further both my communication and my networking skills.

Ultimately, and perhaps most importantly I was able to confirm my interest in commercial real estate, which has now led me to pursue internship positions for the summer of 2016 at two of the largest and leading companies in the field, CBRE and JLL.