Fulbright Honors

Two recent Trinity graduates have received Fulbright honors: Marlén Miranda ’20 received a U.S. Student Fulbright Binational Internship Grant for Mexico, and Anthony Davis ’20 received a U.S. Student Fulbright Teaching Assistantship (ETA) for Malaysia.

Marlen Miranda
Marlen Miranda ’20

Miranda’s grant supports internships in Mexican and multinational companies. According to Fulbright, grantees are placed in businesses and will take courses related to international business at the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo, a private university in Mexico. Miranda will study how to create mutual understandings between the private sectors of Mexico and the United States.

“Being Mexican and American has taught me how critical it is to form positive binational relationships,” said Miranda, who double majored in political science and human rights. “I was born in Guadalajara, Mexico, and have resided in San Diego, California, for more than half of my life.”

Because of the COVID-2019 pandemic, Miranda’s internship is expected to begin in spring 2021. Following her time in Mexico, she plans to attend graduate or law school and pursue a career in public service.

Anthony Davis
Anthony Davis ’20

Davis is scheduled to head to Kuala Lumpur in January 2021. The ETA program places Fulbright grant recipients in classrooms in foreign countries to help teach the English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for the United States.

Davis, who majored in public policy and law, will be teaching English as a second language to high school students. In addition, he will host cultural exchange events and programming to get better acquainted with Malaysia’s culture and values.

“I fundamentally believe education is one of the greatest equalizers,” said Davis. “I’m excited to lend my energies to the classroom and the Malaysian society overall, knowing that this will only improve the global conversation on civility and mutual understanding.”

Davis plans to attend law school after his time in Malaysia.