How to Decide Where to Sit in the Library

The library may seem like an overwhelmingly, large, daunting building- but don’t let it scare you because it WILL become your best friend, and probably where you will spend a lot of your time. To be honest, it did take some time to find my ‘seat’ in the library. To me, every room in the library is different and used for different tasks.

Cubicles:
Cubicles are my go-to 90% of the time when I am at the library. They allow me to focus on my work without the distractions of people and the environment around me. When you have a short amount of time to do that large reading assignment that is due at 8am or when you just need to focus and really think about your math homework or an essay- cubicles are the way to go. However, they are very popular, so on super busy work days, or during finals and midterms, be sure to secure your cubicle early! My favorite cubicle to sit in is on the third floor of the library, overlooking the Chapel, sports fields, and the main quad. It is very stress-relieving to be able to look up after a long reading and tiresome day and see the most beautiful view on campus!

Reading Tables:
Reading tables are great, but that can sometimes be a little scary. My first week at Trinity, when the workload was pretty light, I found myself at the reading tables on the second floor surrounded by lots of friends. I quickly learned that these long, six person tables are not the place to go when you need to focus by yourself. However, they can be very helpful when trying doing simple homework tasks, watching a movie for a class, or even when doing work with friends.

Work Rooms:
The private work rooms in the library are a really great addition. They are very vibrant, secluded, and private. The rooms typically consist of a large table, with several seats, and a full wall of white boards. These are the perfect place to go for a group project because they are a good size, and you can be loud without distracting those in the rooms next to you. The work rooms are also very easy to book- just one email, and you’re all set!

Peter B’s:
Peter B’s is not only my go-to coffee shop on campus, but it is also one of my favorite places to do work. With the maroon and navy club chairs, or booth desks in the corner, Peter B’s is hands down the comfiest place to sit in the library. You can normally find me there in between classes, or before tests when I grab a cup of coffee and go over my last minute flash cards.

With six floors, and a countless number of rooms, it is not hard to find a good workplace for every student!