The Waiting Game

The Waiting Game

Applying to college is probably the most stressful time in a students’ life. There is so much paper work to keep in order, essays to write and edit…and don’t even get me started on CommonApp! However, when you’ve finally hit “Submit” on that final application, that sigh of relief feels like the weight of the world has been lifted off your shoulders. That moment of euphoria is so fleeting, though, when you realize that now you must wait. Playing the waiting game is so hard when the decision affects what you will do with the next four years of your life. And while yes, it’s hard not to stress out about it, I’m here to tell you not to. I repeat: Do Not Stress! Instead of anxiously waiting by the mailbox for acceptance letters, fill your time with more productive activities, for example:

• Sit down and make a list of all the activities you are interested in participating in when you get to your new school. Like sports? Look at which intramural teams different schools offer. Interested in civil service? Check out the Student Government Associations on different campuses. There are plethora of group sports, clubs, organizations, teams, and activities on Trinity’s campus – there is literally something for everyone.
  • Keep an open line of communication with your family and friends. Lean on them when you are feeling nervous about this new part of your life – that’s what they’re there for! Talk to them about the different schools you’ve applied to and let them help you decide which is the best fit. Ultimately, the choice is up to you, but it’s always nice to have some support.
  • DO NOT check your email 24/7. (I made this mistake and it almost drove me crazy). Admission departments are tricky and some schools take longer than others to go through the admissions process.
  • Keep up with your routine. Basically, continue living your life as you normally would as if you’re not waiting for these announcements. The best thing you can do to alleviate any anxiety is simply follow your daily routine. Go to school, go to practice, do your homework, and hang out with your friends and family. Your life is about to change so quickly, so take advantage of this exciting and special time!

Trinity was the last college acceptance letter I received. It was also the only one that caused joyful tears when I opened it. I knew in that emotional moment that this was the place I needed to be. It was the best decision I have ever made. So, be patient. Waiting is so hard, but so incredibly worth it.