Using Databases

Adam Jones

1. When I researched the keyword “brainwashing” using Google, most of the results that I got were wikipedia articles, google books, and other very popular websites. On the other hand, when I used WorldCat’s advanced search with the years “1950 through 1979”, most of my search results were books. Trinity Library only had a couple of the books that WorldCat came up with. I didn’t get any results on WorldCat that weren’t books. Google by far had more results in total, but less that would prove useful, as after the first page they get farther and farther away from what you really want.
  2. When I searched up the keywords “technology” and “cognition” using WorldCat and restricted my search to newspapers I actually got zero sources. However, when I looked up magazines, I got plenty. When I googled the same thing, I got a bunch of names of various science magazines and websites, but less specific results. It seems to me that when being specific about the type of source, WorldCat is much simpler to use because it lets you filter out everything else.
  3. A good database for Erin to use would be Google Scholar. Some examples of organizations that publish their research are Forbes, PBS, and several other smaller organizations. Usually, one can tell if a source is reputable by looking at peer reviews to see what other people said about the source. My keywords were “race, income, inequality, united states, charts, graphs” and then I restricted the search to articles. There are more advanced options in the article filter, where you can only look at articles published by universities or other scholarly organizations.