Walk for Thought

Walk for Thought Blog

The Brain Injury Alliance of Connecticut is an organization that I hold close to my heart. I have had the opportunity to work with them on multiple events over the past year, such as the Valentine’s Day Dance and Healthy Living Retreat, and this past week I volunteered at their 11th annual Walk for Thought fundraising event. Events such as Walk for Thought are highly impactful for the brain injury community not just in a fundraising stand points but in recovery as well. The Brain Injury Alliance of Connecticut is the only organization in Connecticut that offers support to survivors and prevention education free of charge. Since brain injury is highly individualized and can happen to anyone it is beneficial to have access to a support system as a survivor. Acquired brain injury (ABI) is a commonly used umbrella term that describes brain injures that occur after birth but not related to degenerative disease or hereditary factors (“Brain Injury Basics”). Causes of ABI may include stroke, substance abuse, oxygen deprivation to the brain, and traumatic brain injury (TBI). Many of the individuals I encountered at the walk were survivors of traumatic brain injury, an injury acquired from a blow to the head or body that disrupts brain functioning (automobile accident, concussion, fall, etc). A large percent of the population has had or is still recovering from a TBI. Traumatic brain injury affects six times more people each year than spinal cord injuries, MS, HIV/AIDS, and breast cancer combined (“Brain Injury Basics”). There is also an increasing number in youths due to sports related concussions. Due to the fact that ABI’s are individualized there are many different recovery plans that can be pursued. There is not a set treatment plan for a brain injury; however, many patients receive rehabilitation in physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, psychology, physiatry, and social support (NINDS). Walk for Thought is one of the many events that provide social support for survivors while collecting funds to promote research being conducted to further understand the complexity of brain injury and develop better rehabilitation strategies. A big thank you is in store for the Brain Injury Alliance for all that they do for the survivors of brain injury and I am grateful to be a part of events like Walk for Thought which support the community.

Literature Cited

“Brain Injury Basics.” Brain Injury Alliance of Connecticut. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, n.d. Web. 6 Nov. 2015.

“Traumatic Brain Injury Information Page.” National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. NINDS, 2 Nov. 2015. Web. 6 Nov. 2015.