BIAC Internship: Week 1

My first week interning at the Brain Injury Alliance of Connecticut proved to be what I expected: fast-paced and informative.  I was introduced to the staff I did not already know, shown around the office, and then I directly began working to organize the 11th annual Walk for Thought.

One of the great things about working with BIAC so far has been their attitude.  As opposed to previous internships, I feel that the work I do is valuable and necessary to BIAC’s well-being.  They have trusted me solely with the organization of one of their biggest fundraising events of the year, and I cannot be more grateful for that.

In the first two days there were quite a few small tasks to accomplish.  I spent the majority of those days in the office sending emails and making phone calls to past volunteers and participants to see if they would volunteer their time again.  Examples: calling Rentschler Field to set up a site visit, contacting various vendors to get their availability, and seeing if local fraternities and sororities are interested in volunteering to fulfill their community service requirements.  I found it especially helpful to make a list of important dates, as part of my responsibilities include scheduling meetings with companies we have purchased Walk items from and managing the FirstGiving website (i.e. closing early bird registration).

On Tuesday, Julie and I will sit down and go over what I have done so far and figure out some answers to a few questions I have regarding contact information for certain volunteers and scheduling.  This week I am also scheduled to meet with the company from which we order T-shirts to decide on colors and pricing.