Ask yourself these questions when writing & revising your essays for our first-year seminar, since they will guide our peer reviews and final evaluation of your work.
Explain your reasoning for each response
1) Does the author present a clear and focused argument or thesis statement in the introduction? Does it respond to the assignment?
2) Is the author’s reasoning persuasive and well developed? Are the claims supported with appropriate evidence? Are counter-arguments fully considered?
3) Is the essay well organized with smooth transitions between focused paragraphs? Does it include sufficient background for audiences unfamiliar with the topic?
4) Does the author choose precise and meaningful wording, with fluent syntax and correct grammar and spelling?
5) Does the author cite sources in a standard academic format (or, if applicable, in the format designated by the instructor) so that readers may easily locate them?
6) Does the essay inspire the reader to think about the topic in a new way?