Archives: Artwork

Keney Park

Olmstead Brothers-designed park Opened 1896, roads and paths completed 1898

Keney Park Gateway, Greenfield Street

Curabitur nec eros in nibh bibendum ultrices non vel nulla. Quisque interdum justo in enim volutpat, vel rhoncus nisi blandit. Nunc aliquet iaculis mauris a pretium. Nulla maximus…

Bobby Sands Circle

Untitled facade, 95 Woodland St

Sunshine (the Pride Block Deer)

   

Family

Pelican Tattoo Mural

One of four works of public art commissioned by Real Art Ways for Hartford’s Parkville and Frog Hollow neighborhoods as part of their Real Public 2009 initiative.  

Silent Wishes, Unconscious Prayers and Dreams… Fulfilled

This work by artist Carl Pope, Jr. was commissioned by Real Art Ways and originally installed in a vacant lot at 128 Albany Avenue in 1996. Moved to…

Keney Memorial Tower

Dedicated in 1898 to honor Rebecca Turner Keney, the mother of Walter and Henry Keney.

Guardian

Bill Barrett was born in 1934, and attended the University of Michigan where he began welding and experimenting with metal. He used abstract geometric and natural shapes to…

Children

North Chapel Windows

  The Last Supper Window- 1932 Damon and Phintias; Aeneas and Achates Windows David and Jonathan; Philip and Nathanael Window Roland and Oliver; Virgil and Dante Window (Medieval…

The Wolsey Window

Stained Windows in the Chapel Although the designer and the date of design is unknown the Wolsey Window is a fascinating window in terms of design, history and…

Baptismal Window

The Stained Glass in the Chapel  During the summer of 1942, Rowan K. LeCompte a 17-year-old boy from Baltimore visited the Trinity College chapel. He was interested in…

Windows in the South Window

The Stained Windows in the Chapel  The windows in the South Window, also known as the Chapel Workmen’s Window (near the altar) was the first gift of the Chapel…

The Windows over the Crypt Altar

The Stained Glass in the Chapel  The three lancet Windows over the Crypt Altar were designed by Earl Edward Sanborn in 1930. Other people associated with this project,…

The Great East (Te Deum) Window

The Stained Glass in the Chapel At Ogilby’s suggestion Earl Edward Sanborn designed the Te Deum window, also known as the Great East Window, designed in 1932. It…

Jarvis Sculpture: Old Campus Tympanum

It is a Tympanum depicting the the old campus of Trinity College. It is inscribed with the date 1898, however it was carved in 1908. The benefactor is…

Jarvis Sculpture: St. Anthony

Sculpted by Albert Entress, it depicts St. Anthony above the right and left sides of one of the Jarvis Hall entrances. Class of 87’ Donated this sculpture in…

Jarvis Sculpture: Man in Oxford Hat

Sculpted by Albert Entrees, it Depicts a man in an Oxford Hat above the right and left sides of one of the Jarvis Hall entrances. Trinity College Class…

Trinity College Chapel Sculpture

Inside the Trinity College Chapel are six-eight pews and kneel ends that consist of imagery from the life of the college, incidents from American history, and lives of…

Downes Memorial Clock Tower

Built in 1958 as a donation by late trustee Louis W. Downes, the Downes memorial connected the recently built Chapel to the Williams memorial. The gothic style clock…

Saint Anthony Hall

Constructed in 1877-78, St. Anthony Hall was built for the use of chapter headquarters by Trinity College’s Epsilon Chapter of the national fraternity of Delta Psi.  The overall…

Francis Kimball: Adaptation and execution of new campus

After New York City, Kimball returned to Hartford to assist Burgess in constructing a new campus for Trinity College. Because funding for the construction was strict, Kimball had…

Zachs Hillel House

The first thing one notices when approaching the house is the shape of the building.  Although it is not very wide, the building is extremely deep, and when…

Jarvis Hall

      Jarvis Hall, one of the three buildings that make up Long Walk on Trinity College’s campus, is a dormitory completed in 1878. In Spring of…

Trinity College 1997 Master Plan

The 1997 Trinity College Master Plan was the third master plan created in the college’s history, following the Burges Plan in 1874 and the Trowbridge Plan in 1923….

Statue of Bishop Brownell

The memorial statue of Bishop Thomas Church Brownell resides today on the main Trinity College quadrangle. The bishop is shown larger than life size standing with his right…

The President’s House

The current residence of the president is located at 133 Vernon Street on the corner approaching Summit Street. The brick house for the president was designed and built…

Vernon Social Hall, Vernon Place Dormitory

Vernon Social Hall, located at 114 Vernon Street at the northern end of the Trinity College Campus, was completed in 1997. The Social Hall is a single-story structure…

Trinity College Chapel Building

The Trinity College Chapel Building was designed by Philip H. Frogman.  Frohman and his firm was tasked with the architectural design of the Trinity College Chapel, stating that…

Roy Nutt Mathematics, Engineering and Computer Science Center

Located on the perimeter of the southern academic quadrangle of Trinity College’s campus in Hartford is the Roy Nutt Mathematics, Engineering & Computer Science Center. The building was…

The Summit Suites

Sitting directly opposite Trinity College’s chapel, the Summit Tower and Summit Suites are three of the newest dorms on campus. At six stories and four stories, the seventeen-year-old…

Hamlin, Cook, and Goodwin Hall

James Kellum Smith, of McKim, Mead, and White designed Cook, Hamlin, and Goodwin Hall, the cluster of buildings leading from Burges Long Walk. They designed the buildings that…

Olmsted’s Plan for Trinity College

Olmstead was involved in the move to the new campus as mainly the role of consultant.  He was consulted about where to move the college, from its old…

Trinity College Admissions Building

The Trinity College Admissions Building is a three-story building built into the natural hill of Trinity’s campus. From first approach, the majority of the building is hidden underground…

Gates/ Mather Quadrangle

The five large mounded lawns of the Gates/ Mather Quadrangle, designed by Chicago- based Hoerr Schaudt Landscape Architects, have a combined path network that helps direct the heavily…

Crescent Street Townhouses

The Crescent residence halls provide more housing for upperclass students on Crescent Street. The residence halls required $25-million to build five townhouse buildings for more than 340 students…

Northam Towers

Erected in 1881 following the completion of the Jarvis dormitories and the Seabury lecture rooms, Northam Towers was constructed to connect the two wings of the Long Walk.[1]…

Seabury Hall

Seabury Hall is a magnificent building that stands opposite of Jarvis on the Southern side of the Main Quad. The building looks out onto a romantic view of…

The Rose Window

The Stained Glass in the Chapel Being a Protestant chapel, the Rose Window, designed in 1931- 1932, was dedicated to the blessed virgin, a lovely jewel for her…

The Old Campus of Washington College/Trinity College

In 1823, Reverend Thomas C. Brownell served as the founder and first president of Washington College in downtown Hartford, which in 1845, was renamed Trinity College (despite no…

William Burges’ Plans for Trinity College

Burges, William William Burges Plan for Trinity College 1874 Trinity College, 300 Summit Street, Hartford, Connecticut   In 1872, Trinity College, at the time known as Washington College,…

Sol LeWitt, Wall Drawing #849: Irregular Blobs of Color, 1998

Sol LeWitt generously placed on indefinite loan to Trinity College his Wall Drawing #849: Irregular Blobs of Color. He and his wife Carol made this offer in recognition…

Enoch Woods, Horace Wells Memorial Plaque, 1894

Enoch Smith Woods, Horace Wells Plaque, 1864, bronze, Corner of Main and Asylum Streets, opposite the Old Statue House The bronze plaque dedicated to Horace Wells (1815-1848) is…

Enoch Woods, Colonel Thomas Knowlton, 1895

Colonel Thomas Knowlton 1895 bronze State Capitol, East Entrance Enoch Woods’ conceived of Colonel Thomas Knowlton as a companion piece to the Nathan Hale statues, one by Karl…

Nathan Hale

Enoch Woods, Nathan Hale, 1889 bronze Wadsworth Atheneum, 1892. 1 Near Main St. Entrance   Enoch Smith Woods’ Nathan Hale was designed for a competition sponsored by the…

Nathan Hale

Karl Gerhardt, Nathan Hale, 1886, bronze, Connecticut State Capitol, lobby Nathan Hale, also by Gerhardt, stands inside the east entrance of the capitol’s first floor corridor.  One of Connecticut’s…

Stegosaurus, 1973

Alexander Calder, STEGOSAURUS, 1973. painted steel. Burr Mall between the Wadsworth Atheneum and City Hall. Calder’s Stegosaurus is exemplary of his “stabiles” produced after 1937. Named for a…

Joseph Roswell Hawley, circa 1908

Joseph Roswell Hawley c. 1908 bronze high relief medallion. State Capitol, North façade, left wall of portico On October 18, 1912 memorials to Joseph Roswell Hawley, done by…

Equestrian Monument to the Marquis de Lafayette

Paul Wayland Bartlett was commissioned by the Daughters of the American Revolution to create a monument to the Marquis de Lafayette as a reciprocal gift from the United…

Dr. Horace Wells

Truman Howe Bartlett, DR. HORACE WELLS dedicated July 22, 1869, bronze, Bushnell Park. Hartford’s monument to Dr. Horace Wells, the inventor of anesthesia, is the best known of T.H. Bartlett’s…

Stone Field, 1977

Carl Andre, Stone Field Sculpture, 1977 boulders corner of Main Street and Gold Street Carl Andre’s Stone Field Sculpture is a triangular arrangement of thirty-six boulders of varying material…

Evelyn B. Longman, The Victory of Mercy, 1947

Evelyn Beatrice Longman Victory of Mercy, 1947, Loomis Chaffee School, Windsor, CT  

Evelyn B. Longman, Windsor War Memorial (The Eagle) 1928

Evelyn Beatrice Longman Windsor War Memorial (Eagle) 1928 Windsor Green, Windsor, CT.

Evelyn B. Longman, The Craftsman

Evelyn Beatrice Longman The Craftsman or Industry, 1931 Hartford, CT. A. I. Prince Technical High School

Evelyn Longman, Spanish American War Monument

Spanish American War Monument 1926, bronze cast 1927  bronze figure and granite base. Signed in the bronze “Evelyn B. Longman 1926.” Bushnell Park near intersection of Elm &…

The Charter Oak

Salewski depicted a very famous object from Connecticut’s history. In 1687, the Colony’s Royal Charter, which was a liberal document granting many freedoms to colonists, was hidden in…

Genius of Connecticut

The Genius of Connecticut by Randolf Rogers was a winged female figure which crowned the Hartford Capitol dome. She was crowned with oak leaves, the emblem of strength….

Across the Limpopo

Across the Limpopo, by Melvin Edwards, is made of orange painted steel. Demonstrative of Edward’s style since 1968, the piece consists of a triangular frame with a narrow…

Red Dancer

Red Dancer, or Isadora, by Evolin De Deus is made of freely welded steel painted red. This “direct metal sculpture” consists of steel tubing, three inches by three…

General Casimir Pulaski Statue

The General Pulaski statue is a traditional equestrian monument naturalistically portrayed. Pulaski was a Revolutionary war hero who had come to America from Europe to fight for democracy….

Colonel Thomas Knowlton

Woods conceived of Colonel Thomas Knowlton, which is located at the East Entrance of the State Capitol Building, as a companion piece to the Nathan Hale statue, which is…

The Reverend Horace Bushnell

The Reverend Horace Bushnell was a local Congregational minister and civic leader who was the primary force behind the conversion of the slum of Hartford into what is…

Echo

Echo, located on Main Street in front of the the Wadsworth Atheneum’s Morgan Memorial Building,  is part of a series of constructions based on the cylinder that Liberman executed…

Doctor Gallaudet and his First Deaf Mute Pupil

Doctor Gallaudet And His First Deaf Mute Pupil is the second casting of a bronze statue completed in 1889.  The original stands on the grounds of Gallaudet College…

Handful

Johnson’s Handful consists of six large arching beams of steel.  Handful is about twenty-six feet high.  Steel shanks intersect to form three-like images.  The softening color of the…

Richard D. Hubbard

Richard D. Hubbard was executed as an above life-size figure and is located on the southeast side of the State Capitol grounds.  This statue, commissioned by Hubbard’s friends,…

Spanish American War Monument

As the inscription reads, the Spanish American War Monument was erected to “commemorate the valor and patriotism of the Hartford men who served their country in the war…

Captain Joseph Wadsworth Hiding The Royal Charter In The Charter Oak

In 1662 John Winthrop Jr., the fifth governor of the Connecticut Colony, traveled to England to secure from King Charles II a Royal Charter which would give the…

Roger Ludlow

Windsor lawyer Roger Ludlow (1590-not known) drafted the Fundamental Orders, a constitution adopted by the Connecticut Colony in 1639.  A tome under his right arm, apparently deep in thought, Brooks’ portrait…

John Haynes

  After the completion of the State Capitol building in 1878, the Connecticut State Commission of Sculpture named Brooks, Paul Wayland Bartlett and Albert Entress as those sculptors who would decorate…

The Reverend Jonathan Edwards

Niehaus treats these Connecticut patriots quite uniformly. Set within the round shape of a roundel, each portrait head stares directly out from its position above the entrance to…

The Reverend Bridge Berkeley

Joel Barlow

The Reverend John Davenport Preaching to the Puritan Settlers of New Haven

Niehaus has depicted two important scenes from the history of the settling of Connecticut in these two tympana. In fact, the entire east façade of the Capitol Building…

The Reverend Thomas Hooker Leading the First White Settlers to Hartford

Surveyor’s Drawing Board

Surveyor’s Drawing Board is an early bronze sculpture that predates Pomodoro’s better known geometric bronzes. It is a bas-relief of drapery-like folds offset by organic striations. The surface…

Andersonville Boy

The Andersonville Boy is an above life-sized bronze representing the Connecticut soldiers imprisoned in the Civil War. The statue “portrays a Union soldier with dejected but unconquered mien.”…

Amaryllis

Although considered an attractive flower, Smith saw something ugly about the plant. He claimed the flower did not conform to ordinary “notions of pretty.” In Smith’s eyes, the…

DG, MS, VT

    The pieces D.G., M.S., V.T. were originally designed on a paper-weight scale and were intended for friends, hence the various initials. Smith says the works relate to three…

Playground

    Playground, can be most accurately understood if it is viewed in the context of fun. Smith would probably not hold any objections if it were moved to an…

Major General Clarence Ransom Edwards

     General Edwards was Commander of the Twenty-Sixth Division of the United States Army during the years 1917 and 1918, when he led the Sons of New England to…

The Bride

 Consisting a vertical pillar encased by a rectangular, cagelike structure, The Bride is minimalistic in its use of elementary forms. This was a gift to the Atheneum from…

The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch

The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch (1884 -1886) was constructed to commemorate the soldiers and seaman of Hartford who had died in the Civil War. Discussions and competitions for the…

Union Soldier

After the civil war a number of New England historical societies commissioned commemorative statues of civil war soldiers. This particular union soldier was probably cut from a block…

Traho

Traho consists of two components and falls into two of Katzen’s three categories: “strata” and single section works. This work is secluded from traffic and noise by its…

Jonathan Trumbull

Jonathan Trumbull by Chauncey Ives is a seven foot marble statue commemorating an outstanding Connecticut historical figure. Trumbull (1710-1785) was a noted soldier, and statesman and figured prominently…

Roger Sherman

Roger Sherman by Chauncey B. Ives is a seven foot marble statue made in 1878 and is currently located at the State Capitol building in Hartford, Connecticut. The Roger…

Thomas Church Brownell

Thomas Church Brownell by Chauncey Ives is a larger-than-life sized bronze statue made in 1869 and supported by a Quincy granite pedestal. It is currently located on the…

Samuel Colt Monument

The Samuel Colt Monument by Rhind marks the entrance to Colt Park. Rhind uses a historical conceit to simultaneously show four important moments in the life of Samuel Colt. Rhind is successful in creating a monument, which suggests several moments in time, which are arranged spatially to create harmonious unity.

Orville Hitchcock Platt

Orville Hitchcock Platt is shown seated by a table piled with books. He is balding and his face is wrinkled.

Thomas Hooker

Hooker, a great Puritan divine, led the first settlers from Massachusetts Bay Colony to Hartford. As no paintings, drawings or written descriptions of Hooker’s appearance existed, Wadsworth created an imaginary portrait based upon her interpretation of his character as a powerful and convincing preacher. Hooker holds in his right hand a scroll. This is a reference to his sermon of 1683 in which he sets forth the principles of self government under constitutional limitations created and preserved by the people.

Lafayette

The model for Lafayette was completed in 1907 and was later cast in 1932. The statue is bronze and is placed on a marble base. It can be…

The North Facade of the State Capitol

These statues were all completed circa 1906-08 and were all done in marble. Paul Bartlett had a specific vision for the sculptural program for the Capitol. The north…

Corning Fountain

John Massey Rhind built Corning Fountain to commemorate a Hartford merchant, John J. Corning. It is Rhind’s intent to show various stages in the cultural evolution of the American Indian. Four Indian warriors on pedestals are placed around a large marble basin. On the second level, four freestanding squaws decorate a column surmounted by a hart, the symbol of the City of Hartford.

Gallaudet Statue

    This statue honors the creator of the American Sign Language and American School for the Deaf founders Thomas H. Gallaudet. The two large hands cradle Alice Cogswell, daughter of one of the founders, and the school’s first pupil. Forming the word “light” in the deaf sign language, the hands thereby project the optimism of Gallaudet’s contribution. Both hope and knowledge are implied not only for the students of the school, but for all deaf.