Citations Exercise (Revised)

I chose to do my literature search on the topic of “racial segregation.” The first source I chose was a paperback book called, The Civil Rights Act of 1964: The Passage of the Law That Ended Racial Segregation (Loevy). I chose this particular source, because I thought it seemed interesting. Additionally, I found the cover to be quite comedic and entertaining. Lastly, the material in the book appears to have a lot of information that could broaden my understanding of the course material in the class.

The second source I picked out for this particular assignment is a DVD called, “In the Land of Jim Crow: Growing Up Segregate” (Phoenix Learning Group, Inc., 2008). I picked this source, because I really love to watch movies and it would provide me with great insight into the lives of those marginalized from society prior to the numerous reformations in housing policies (more importantly, to see which living conditions still exist).

The third source is an article entitled, “Mapping Racial Segregation in New York City” from “New York Magazine” (Tiku). I chose this source, because we have studied numerous maps of Connecticut in this class. Additionally, I thought it would be interesting to see how the trends of racial segregation compare between the two states (Connecticut and New York). Maps are an imperative component in discovering the truth about certain regions and districts. Nothing quite like a visual!

The fourth source is featured on the opinion pages of the online edition of the “New York Times.” The story is called, “Is Segregation Back in the U.S. Public Schools?” (“Is Segregation Back in U.S. Public Schools? – Room for Debate”). I chose this particular source, because I thought it fit in quite well with the material we are learning in class. Not only does it discuss racial segregation, however, it discusses the public educational systems of America (a topic which is under great debate in our classroom).

The fifth source is a segment entitled “Ordinance for Race Segregation in Baltimore,” which was abstracted from the Hartford Courant (“Ordinance For Race Segregation In Baltimore”). I chose it, because it is highly beneficial for research to get actual historical accounts. Additionally, there are a lot of similarities between Baltimore and Hartford; it would be interesting to explore the similarities and differences in terms of their racial segregation policies back in the early 1900’s between these two cities. The sixth source, which was also abstracted from the Hartford Courant, is “Negro Segregation Law Enjoined” (“Negro Segregation Law Enjoined: District Judge Grants Injunction Against St. Louis Ordinance”). I chose this source, because I thought it would be fascinating to see a historical account on a particular case in court (especially considering that the trial occurred in a southern court house).

The last source was abstracted from “Britannica Online Encyclopedia” (“Racial Segregation”). I chose this source, because it was a definition of “racial segregation.” Additionally, Encyclopedia Britannica is a very reliable source.

WORKS CITED

In the Land of Jim Crow: Growing Up Segregated. Phoenix Learning Group, Inc., 2008. Film.

“Is Segregation Back in U.S. Public Schools? – Room for Debate.” The New York Times. Web. 21 Sept. 2012.

Loevy, Robert D., ed. The Civil Rights Act of 1964: The Passage of the Law That Ended Racial Segregation. State University of New York Press, 1997. Print.

“Negro Segregation Law Enjoined: District Judge Grants Injunction Against St. Louis Ordinance.” The Hartford Courant (1887-1922) 18 Apr. 1916 : 17. Print.

“Ordinance For Race Segregation In Baltimore.” The Hartford Courant (1887-1922) 26 Sept. 1913 : 1. Print.

“Racial Segregation — Britannica Online Encyclopedia.” Encyclopedia Britannica. Web. 21 Sept. 2012.

Tiku, Nitasha. “Mapping Racial Segregation in New York City.” Daily Intel. Web. 21 Sept. 2012.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }