American Identity

Posted on

Published in the Perspectives on Politics Journal in March of 2007 political scientists run empirical tests on Samuel Huntington’s claims the number, concentration, linguistic homogeneity and other unique characteristics of Hispanic immigration will erode the American identity and culture. Huntington’s deepest worry is a failure of hispanic immigrants to adopt an American patriotism that coincides with every citizen in the United States. However, Jack Citrin and associates report an intense aspect of patriotism in Hispanics as years move forward . Their studies find that a even when Hispanics chose to identify themselves as a “hyphenated” Americans “they do not collide with patriotism” but they are “quite compatible with a strong love of the country.” (Citrin, 44)

In my experience at the Hartford Adult Education center last Wednesday night I was fortunate enough to experience Citrin’s reports for my own eyes.

“So would you both agree that the coined “”American Dream”” is honest and true for every immigrant who comes to America legally with a purpose to work hard?” Both Carlos, who migrated from Honduras to Los Angeles in 1992, and Winona, who migrated to United States from the Dominican Republic. They both were adamant about becoming American, receiving education, working hard, one in a manufacturing company and Carlos working in construction demolition man. Both have aspirations to communicate more effectively with their employers and hopefully take full advantage of their time in the United States through education.

Winona, specifically, finds the education system in the United States as an endless track to opportunity as compared to the Dominican Republic . She recalls as a child having to pay fees for education as a child even to sit down within a school. She mentions such a large concentration of poverty and weakness there that acts as a prison to those who are born in to the situation. As a child she was barred form the opportunity to learn and that is the last thing she ever wanted for her own daughter. Despite Winona’s intense appreciation for her movement to the United States I was extremely surprised when she voluntarily expressed her views on our current immigration system as not strictly enforced enough. She justifies her “close the door behind me” thought in terms of our nations security. She referenced specifically to 9/11 and we then continued to express both our views on whether or not a strict border may enhance our feeling of national security.

I was consistently impressed with both Winona’s motivation to learn when she asked about my views of controlling the border.  I answered he questions with some the theories we spoke about in class such as how a migration crisis can very well be only smoke show created by political actors to find a scapegoat for negative times. Winona’s intrigue and intelligence leads me to believe that our country’s potential for advancement from recruiting talent from other areas around the world is endless.

However, I could not help but chastise myself by thinking this way. Is it moral for the United States to encourage bright talent to leave their homeland, rather than providing aid to a country in need to be rescused by a corruptive or authoritarian power. Carlos’ incentive to leave Honduras, and come to the United States in 1992, provides an example in which not only the U.S may have a had an ethical responsibility to provide aid to a country in need, but also may be responsible for a corruptive government in Honduras.

“El Violencio”, Carlos explained to me.  I was taken back by Carlos when he told me his migration in to the midst of the L.A Riots in 1992 provided him a safe haven as compared to his time in Honduras.
“Kids would die daily in the streets. The drugs and cocaine……You know Hugo? Hugo Chavez? He controls the streets and sends large amounts of drugs to Honduras to be sold all over the world.”

His story of migration and appreciation of a safe haven in the Los Angeles as an immigrant in the early 90’s gives me an alternate perspective of Central America. We can ever assume that we fully understand why a Hispanic Immigrant would risk even death to cross the border, because we have never seen the type of danger they saw daily within their homeland.