Citing with Zotero

When starting looking for sources, I decided to type in these few key words: Hartford, housing, barriers, and change–all words that have to do with our next assignment on how barriers in housing have changed over time.  The first website I looked for sources in was JStor.  I found two articles, one called “School Choice in Suburbia: Test Scores, Race, and Housing Markets, and article written by Trinity College Faculty” 1 .   The other was an article called “Homelessness in Québec City, Québec and Hartford, Connecticut: A Cross-National and Cross-Cultural Analysis” 2 .  I picked both of these for my journal articles because they both not only talked about Hartford, but also talked about the change in opportunity people had with housing. The article comparing homelessness in Québec and Hartford has this sentence, “Having no home is a visible comment on society’s failure to house its most vulnerable members” 1 , in the first paragraph of the article, showing that it will focus on how society deals with housing for the lower class. The other article about schools in suburban areas begins with a statistic that race influenced where someone lived seven more times over the decade long study 3 .

The next place I looked for sources was historical newspapers in the Hartford Courant, and I found “A Realistic Way of Crossing Barriers” 4 an article published in 1968 about needing a grant for affordable housing.  This article is interesting because it enters how people were thinking about housing barriers in the 60′s. After this, I searched the Trinity library for books on this topic. I came up with a book called “The Status of Equal Housing Opportunity: A Report of the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities” 5, and although it is not specifically on Hartford, the subject of the book was discrimination in housing, a perfect match to what I am looking for.  Lastly, I just searched google for a website, and came up with a article called “‘Affordable’ Still Not Equal: Housing Law Fails to Break Barriers in Affluent Towns” by Mike Swift 2 .  Zotero was not able to cite this website, so I just did it myself.

1. ibid
  2. Swift, Mike. “‘Affordable’ Still Not Equal: Housing Law Fails to Break Down Barriers in Affluent Towns – HartfordInfo.org.”‘€˜Affordable’ Still Not Equal: Housing Law Fails to Break Down Barriers in Affluent Towns. Hartford Public Library, 20 Sept. 2012. Web. 21 Sept. 2012. <http://www.hartfordinfo.org/issues/documents/smartgrowth/htfd_courant _112104.asp>.
  1.  Jack Dougherty et al., “School Choice in Suburbia: Test Scores, Race, and Housing Markets,” American Journal of Education 115, no. 4 (2009): 523–548.
  2.  Irene Glasser, Louise Fournier, and André Costopoulos, “Homelessness In Québec City, Québec And Hartford, Connecticut: A Cross-National And Cross-Cultural Analysis,” Urban Anthropology and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development 28, no. 2 (July 1, 1999): 141–163.
  3.  Jack Dougherty et al., “School Choice in Suburbia: Test Scores, Race, and Housing Markets,” American Journal of Education 115, no. 4 (2009): 523–548
  4.  “A Realistic Way Of Crossing Barriers,” The Hartford Courant (1923-1986) (Hartford, Conn., United States, July 27, 1968). 
  5.  Connecticut, The Status of Equal Housing Opportunity: a Report of the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities (Hartford: The Commission, 1978).