“How have the goals and methods of giftededucationchanged since the 1930s? What do these goals and methods say about the intended purpose of gifted education?”
Gifted education is linked to the country at large, morphing to meet the demands that the country places on the student, in an effort to produce good future American citizens.
World Wars I and II
· Politicians and educators look to gifted education to prepare the minds of students who had already shown the potential of becoming leaders capable of securing the safety and global dominance of the United States.
· Emphasis on global issues and leadership skills
· Attention on human rights
· Educate students to be globally competitive.
· Emphasis on testing and an altered definition of gifted
· Increased learning in the fields of math and science