HEALTH & WELLNESS EVENTS AND PROGRAMS

MINDFULLNESS
Thursday, October 25, 2018, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Location: Terrace Room C (Mather Hall)

Register here

Are you familiar with mindfulness? This is a term for focusing your attention on the present moment, what you’re doing, where you are and how you’re feeling. In our fast-paced world, many of us spend much of our time multi-tasking in order to get through the days and weeks. Mindfulness is a proven tool that can help manage this pace by keeping focus on your goals and managing stress. There are many examples of how mindfulness improves wellness including: physical wellness through mindful eating, emotional wellness through empathy, intellectual wellness through self-awareness and environmental wellness through mindful sustainability practices.

Join us on October 25th for a Health and Wellness seminar on this topic. Come explore how mindfulness can be applied to your personal wellness plan.

Lunch will be provided and there will be raffle prizes!

Facilitated By: Dr. Nanette Tummers, Professor of Health and Physical Education, Eastern Connecticut State University

CHAIR MASSAGES by Cailin McBee, LMT of Balance Massage Therapy
Thursdays: November 29, 2018, December 6, 2018, December 13, 2018, December 20, 2018
11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Location: Trinity Commons (Room 166)

Ten minute appointments available.
Contact Human Resources at X-2272 to schedule an appointment!

HOLIDAY SURVIVAL
Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Location: Terrace Room C (Mather Hall)

Register here

Too much to see, too much to do, too much to eat. The holidays are just too much fun – and they bring with them temptations to over-commit, overeat, overspend and often, as a result, to stress out. We’ll help you get your plan in place to ensure that “the most wonderful time of the year” really is. It’s time to put a stress-busting plan in motion.

Facilitated by: Jacqui Campbell, Registered Dietitian

HOLIDAY WALK FOUR-WEEK CHALLENGE
Beginning Monday, November 26, 2018 through Friday, December 21, 2018.
WHEN: Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Location*: Departs 12:15 from Williams; 12:20 p.m. from Hamlin and 12:30 from Trinity Commons

All attendees will receive giveaways and raffles done at the end to participants with high attendance!

Challenge yourself to walk every week!
Did you know that according to the American Heart Association walking could help you:
– Reduce your risk of serious diseases like heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer.
– Improve your blood pressure, blood sugar and blood cholesterol levels.
– Increase your energy and stamina.
– Improve your mental and emotional well-being.
– Boost bone strength and reduce your risk of osteoporosis.
– Prevent weight gain.

*Walking route: Depart from Williams Memorial at 12:15 p.m., arrive at Hamlin Hall at 12:20 for our first pickup, travel down Summit and take left on New Britain Avenue and pickup at Trinity Commons at 12:30, continue down New Britain Avenue, take left on Crescent Street, walk down Crescent Street, take left on Broad Street, walk on Broad Street take left on Vernon, continue on Vernon (end of walk for some), take left on Summit, back to Williams Memorial (walk ends for some); continue down the Long Walk arrive at Hamlin (walk ends for some); go through Mather Circle and follow Summit back to Trinity Commons. Loop is 1.6 miles and 30- 45 minutes depending on pace.

Join the fun and fitness beginning Monday, November 26, 2018 – December 21, 2018.

RSVP to human-resources@trincoll.edu

STRESS MANAGEMENT AND TIME MANAGEMENT
Thursday, December 6, 2018 – 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Location: Rittenberg Lounge (Mather Hall)

Register here

How can I find healthy ways to find balance and be at my best during hectic days at work and at home? Stress Management and time management are intertwined with each other and require us to cultivate the skills of “attention management”.

Ready to try “flexing”: the deliberate choice to do focus attention rather than: screaming, yell, pull your hair out, call in a mental health day, hide behind your computer screen, procrastinate, see what’s in a co-workers candy jar or your lunch bag and it’s only 9:05 am???.

Participation in this 90 minute interactive and hands on workshop will allow you to practice “flexing”:

A. How can you build your skills at responding rather than reacting through mindfulness-based stress management?

B. What are the best choices for you to: organize, prioritize, and carry out all the tasks, projects and demands of our busy with work and personal life’s?

Workshop Agenda includes:

Step 1 – Attention audit: What happens when I am faced with stress issues? What happens when I’m faced with time management issues? What am I doing proactively to enhance my well-being? What am I doing to effectively use my time? How do I cultivate a growth mindset versus a fixed mindset?

Step 2 – What are the skills I need to respond versus react? How do I communicate effectively: which may include saying no, delegation, setting boundaries? How do hit the reset button to become focused and calm? What self-care practices do I need to do daily in order to be in the best place within me?

Step 3 – How do I practice making deliberate choices? How do I create goals that are worthwhile: planning for the big picture, preparing for and preventing planning fallacy- what is the Pareto 80/20 rule? How do I effectively use a calendar, a to do list, a planner that works for me and why I need to cultivate these tools?

Step 4 – Staying on task: Why is multitasking a waste of time? What are my energy windows? How can I use the Pomero effect? How can I use chunking? What is Lombardi time? How do I use affective record keeping? How do I use accountability as an ally? What can l learn from setbacks? What is the best organization system for me?

Step 5– What are my next steps?

Facilitated by: Dr. Nanette Tummers, Professor of Health Education, Kinesiology and Physical Education, Eastern Connecticut State University

ABOUT OUR GUEST FACILITATORS:

Jacqui Campbell is a registered dietitian who enjoys helping individuals lead a healthy lifestyle. Her interest in nutrition and wellness developed during high school when she worked in the dining room at Canyon Ranch health spa, surrounded by the healthy living mantra. Jacqui completed her Bachelor of Science degree in Public Health and Health Sciences at UMass Amherst and her dietetic internship and Master’s degree in Nutrition through SUNY College at Oneonta. Jacqui also works as a dietitian in a private nutrition practice in Newington.

Dr. Nanette Tummers is a full tenured professor of health and physical education at Eastern Connecticut State University. She received her doctorate in Kinesiology and Health Promotion from the University of Northern Colorado. She teaches health education pedagogy classes, stress management and personal health. She has written and presented, provided extensive pro bono service and student community engagement opportunities, and conducted research with at risk populations: Windham public schools, incarcerated youth, the recovery community and recently with Veterans. Her research interest lies in motivating individuals to embrace lifelong holistic health choices that are meaningful and enjoyable. She teaches, writes and lectures extensively in whole food based nutrition, yoga for emotional health and growth, mindfulness and holistic stress management. She is the author of “Teaching Yoga for Life. Preparing Children and Teens for Healthy, Balanced Living; Teaching Stress Management; Activities for Children and Young Adults; and Stress Management. A Wellness Approach

Cailin McBee, LMT holds a Bachelor’s degree in Sports Medicine and received her massage therapy training at the Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy, located in Newington, CT. She is a Licensed Massage Therapist and is a Board Certified Member of NCBTMB as well as a professional member of AMTA. Cailin also holds Reiki Level II certification. Practicing since 2000, Cailin has massage therapy office and day spa experience, and opened her private practice in 2003

Free Lifestyle Management Programs (for Cigna Members)

Call 855.246.1873 or visit myCigna.com/My Health Tab

Whether your goal is to lose weight, quit tobacco or lower your stress levels, you have the power to make it happen. Cigna Lifestyle Management Programs can help – and all at no additional cost to you. Each program is easy to use and available where and when you need it. And, you can use each program online or over the phone – or both.*

Weight Management
Reach your goal of maintaining a healthy weight – all without the fad diets. Create a personal healthy-living plan that will help you build your confidence, be more active and eat healthier. And, you’ll get the support you need to stick with it.

Tobacco Cessation
Get the help you need to finally quit tobacco. Create a personal quit plan with a realistic quit date. And, get the support you need to kick the habit for good. You’ll even get free over-the-counter nicotine replacement therapy (patch or gum).

Stress Management
Get help lowering your stress levels and raising your happiness levels. Learn what causes you stress in your life and develop a personal stress management plan. And, get the support you need to help you cope with stressful situations – both on and off the job.

Over the phone*

One-on-one wellness coaching
    Convenient evening and weekend hours
    Program workbook and toolkit

Online

Convenient support
    Self-paced program
    Educational materials, interactive tools and resources

Higher ED Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
is a confidential service that offers free counseling services and extensive resources to help the staff and faculty of Trinity College deal with a wide variety of personal and professional challenges. This service is free to you and your dependent family members.
Below is a list of some of the areas of life that EAP can offer resources and support fo

• Adoption
  • Alcohol Abuse
  • Drug Addiction
  • Financial Planning
  • Consumer Action
  • Mental Health
  • Will Templates
  • Divorce
  • Home Ownership
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Lemon Laws
  • Teen Issues
  • Elder Laws
  • Gambling
  • Special Needs Child
  • Social Security
  • Bankruptcy
  • Loss and Grief
  • Stress
  • Child Care
  • Family Violence
  • Work-Life Balance
  •  
    To access this benefit, call the EAP at 1-800-252-4555 or 1-800-225-2527 or log on to the website WWW.HigherEdEAP.com, and click on the Employee & Family Login button. Create a username and password once you have completed the online registration form.