YOUR CAREER FITNESS

With the mid-year performance review period fast approaching, we find this is a good time to think about how helpful feedback can be in strengthening relationships and building team performance. Supervisors and employees alike will find valuable tips on how to incorporate meaningful feedback techniques not only at review time but in their everyday, regular interactions. Feedback is the foundation of helping employees grow and develop at work. Managers who use different motivational and leadership strategies can help employees reach their fullest potential. Join us for the workshops on giving, receiving and asking for feedback and employee motivation and coaching.

NEW! Note the addition of a workshop focusing on the interconnection between Stress Management and Time Management. Sign up today to learn more about cultivating “attention management” and building your skills at responding rather than reacting when faced with time management issues.

Register below for one or more of the scheduled workshops. We encourage you to invite a colleague to attend with you.

Stay tuned for more information about additional workshops on using Microsoft products to improve automation focusing on the use of macros and forms development.

FOR SUPERVISORS – THE ART OF GVING, RECEIVING AND ASKING FOR FEEDBACK Register here
Tuesday, October 30, 2018 – 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Location: Reese Room (Smith House)

This session will focus on the supervisor’s role in giving, receiving and asking for feedback as a tool to encourage employees to participate in ongoing dialogue. The goal is to strengthen working relationships, better understand how you communicate with employees and enhance the overall performance evaluation process through open and ongoing dialogue.
• Discuss the importance of the supervisor’s role in giving, receiving and asking for feedback
• Understand the value of giving, receiving and asking for feedback on an ongoing basis (not just during annual evaluations)
• Encourage employees by providing consistent and ongoing dialogue
• Examine the difference between specific behaviors and differences in personal style
• Learn how to ask employees for feedback and minimize potential reluctance or fear of doing so based on the supervisory/employee relationship; focus on receiving feedback to understand how you communicate expectations, goals and needs
• Learn how to deliver feedback by focusing on specific behavior (Do’s and Don’ts)
• Learn how to receive feedback and frame a response (Do’s and Don’ts)

This session is recommended so that supervisors can benefit from understanding the value of receiving and asking for employee feedback as well as having an opportunity to discuss the feedback process and increase skills in giving and receiving feedback.

Facilitated By: Orlene Allen Weyland, M.A., C.E.A.P., Principal, Gallops Consulting

GVING, RECEIVING AND ASKING FOR FEEDBACK – FOR NON-SUPERVISORY EMPLOYEES Register here
Tuesday, October 30, 2018 – 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Location: Reese Room (Smith House)

This session will focus on understanding how giving and receiving and asking for feedback can enhance relationships at work, increase listening skills, and reduce misunderstandings. We will discuss specific examples of giving and receiving feedback. “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” will be illustrated as a way to clarify the differences between productive and unproductive feedback.
• Understand the value and benefit of giving and receiving and asking for feedback
• Learn how to ask for feedback to improve performance and understand how you impact others
• Learn how to receive feedback and frame your response (Do’s and Don’ts)
Discussion will include framing conversations with co-workers and supervisors alike.

EMPLOYEE MOTIVATION AND COACHING Register here
Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Location: Terrace Room C (Mather Hall)

Effective management starts with your ability to drive the performance of your team. A successful team requires employee motivation and commitment. Having motivated and committed employees who are dedicated to giving their best at work doesn’t just happen … it takes effective leadership skills to engage employees.

Managers who use different strategies to strengthen their employees’ motivation and tap their potential have been known to have teams with the greatest success. In this workshop, we will discuss motivational theories and explore situational leadership strategies as they relate to employee readiness. We will examine using the GROW model as a tool for developing employee potential and structuring coaching opportunities.

Facilitated By: Donna Ciarfella, M.A., SPHR, SHRM-SCP, Associate Director, Trinity College Human Resources

STRESS MANAGEMENT AND TIME MANAGEMENT Register here
Thursday, December 6, 2018 – 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Location: Rittenberg Lounge (Mather Hall)

How can I find healthy ways to find balance and be at my best during hectic days at work and at home? Stress Management and time management are intertwined with each other and require us to cultivate the skills of “attention management”.

Ready to try “flexing”: the deliberate choice to do focus attention rather than: screaming, yell, pull your hair out, call in a mental health day, hide behind your computer screen, procrastinate, see what’s in a co-workers candy jar or your lunch bag and it’s only 9:05 am???.

Participation in this 90 minute interactive and hands on workshop will allow you to practice “flexing”:

A. How can you build your skills at responding rather than reacting through mindfulness-based stress management?
B. What are the best choices for you to: organize, prioritize, and carry out all the tasks, projects and demands of our busy with work and personal life’s?

Workshop Agenda includes:

Step 1 – Attention audit: What happens when I am faced with stress issues? What happens when I’m faced with time management issues? What am I doing proactively to enhance my well-being? What am I doing to effectively use my time? How do I cultivate a growth mindset versus a fixed mindset?

Step 2 – What are the skills I need to respond versus react? How do I communicate effectively: which may include saying no, delegation, setting boundaries? How do hit the reset button to become focused and calm? What self-care practices do I need to do daily in order to be in the best place within me?

Step 3 – How do I practice making deliberate choices? How do I create goals that are worthwhile: planning for the big picture, preparing for and preventing planning fallacy- what is the Pareto 80/20 rule? How do I effectively use a calendar, a to do list, a planner that works for me and why I need to cultivate these tools?

Step 4 – Staying on task: Why is multitasking a waste of time? What are my energy windows? How can I use the Pomero effect? How can I use chunking? What is Lombardi time? How do I use affective record keeping? How do I use accountability as an ally? What can l learn from setbacks? What is the best organization system for me?

Step 5– What are my next steps?

Facilitated By: Dr. Nanette Tummers, Professor of Health Education, Kinesiology and Physical Education, Eastern Connecticut State University

ABOUT OUR GUEST FACILITATORS

Orlene Allen Weyland, M.A., CEAP, is Principal of Gallops Consulting where she provides consulting to businesses with a focus on Employee Assistance Program (EAP) strategy, program evaluation, organization-wide education and training, consultation and support for workplace crisis situations, management consultation, and leadership coaching and development. Her clients include financial services and health care institutions, not-for-profit and labor organizations, universities and the international travel industry. Prior to forming Gallops Consulting in 2012, Orlene managed Aetna’s internal EAP and provided oversight of Aetna’s business EAP and Work/Life services, education and training, reporting, management services and crisis consultation. In 2010, she was the recipient of an award for her role in managing post-crisis services for a major client who had over twenty employees on the U.S. Airways plane involved in the 2009 emergency landing in the Hudson River. Orlene directed a number of statewide private/public sector initiatives, including initiating the design of a statewide Employee Assistance Program model geared to small businesses and involvement in a state wide coalition which focused on reducing underage access to alcohol through public policy change. Orlene is past President of the Board of Directors of Interval House, an active member of the Connecticut Chapter of the Employee Assistance Professionals Association including serving as President and Vice President, and has also served on the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Connecticut Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

Dr. Nanette Tummers is a full tenured professor of health and physical education at Eastern Connecticut State University. She received her doctorate in Kinesiology and Health Promotion from the University of Northern Colorado. She teaches health education pedagogy classes, stress management and personal health. She has written and presented, provided extensive pro bono service and student community engagement opportunities, and conducted research with at risk populations: Windham public schools, incarcerated youth, the recovery community and recently with Veterans. Her research interest lies in motivating individuals to embrace lifelong holistic health choices that are meaningful and enjoyable. She teaches, writes and lectures extensively in whole food based nutrition, yoga for emotional health and growth, mindfulness and holistic stress management. She is the author of “Teaching Yoga for Life. Preparing Children and Teens for Healthy, Balanced Living; Teaching Stress Management; Activities for Children and Young Adults; and Stress Management. A Wellness Approach