Two scholarly research databases that relate to my major are PsycARTICLES and PsycINFO. I consider them “scholarly” because they include articles from the APA and additional top journals.

I have a fair amount of experience using these two sites, as I must utilize their functions to find articles for my research. One article on affordances was found on PsycARTICLES by searching “affordances” and clicking “limit to peer-reviewed”. It’s easy to find relevant articles without using many keywords because it is relatively new of a topic. Citation:

Osiurak, F., & Badets, A. (2016). Tool Use and Affordance: Manipulation-Based Versus Reasoning-Based         Approaches.Psychological Review, doi:10.1037/rev0000027

Another article I found by searching for “affordances” AND “movement”. Citation:

Mon-Williams, M., & Bingham, G. P. (2011). Discovering affordances that determine the spatial structure of reach-to-grasp movements. Experimental Brain Research, 211(1), 145-160. doi:10.1007/s00221-011-2659-2

I had to read through a few different article titles that included results from social affordances to judging spatial structure of reach-to-grasp objects. The advanced search function helps narrow down the results by offering more specific alleys of information, such as peer-reviewed, date published, certain authors, which words to include or leave out of a search, and population and age groups. I continued to refine my search results by adding AND “motor control” to the search bar at the top. This search yielded more relevant results like Affordance-based perception-action dynamics: A model of visually guided braking. by Harrison et al. The other results were not very relevant to my search, yielding affordances related to emotions and vision, as well as how things fit into different apertures.