Procession

The Pantrinitonic Procession will take place at 3:30PM on Thursday May 2nd, 2013 @ Mather Quad 

All are welcome to process with the Trinity community! Show off your clubs by wearing their gear! 
Processors should bring whistles, drums, horns or any other noisemakers! 

The procession was an integral part of festivals in Classical Athens. During the Panathenaia, the Panathenaic Way led spectators and participates atop the Acropolis (the religious heart of Athens). The procession encompassed all members of the Athenian community in a way that reflected their culture. The procession cut through the cultural and political heart of Athens, the Agora. As the ancients processed, they passed monuments and landmarks that held significance in symbolizing the history of Athens.

When modeling the Pantrinitonia procession, we used the ancient’s model of where and how to process. The procession will encompass members from many of the clubs and athletic teams on campus along with faculty and members of the Hartford community. Walking from the Lower Long Walk around Admissions to the Long Walk, we pass through the heart of Trinity College’s campus. The route that we will take celebrates many of Trinity’s landmarks and the development of the college. The Pantrinitonic procession is a space to display the excellence of the Trinity community.

Our model, the Panathenaic Procession:

Map of Panathenaic Procession

The route of the Panathenaic procession is the perfect way to exhibit how the Athenians make their history into a material spectacle. The procession begins at the Dipylon Gate. The Dipylon Gate is not only the wall of the city, but it is also the location of the Kerameikos.

The Kerameikos is a merchant district and the potters’ quarters, while also being the location of the burial ground. The beginning of the procession symbolically pulls in the past through the gate with it by beginning in a spot where Athenian ancestors are laid to rest.

Next, the procession proceeds through the agora.  Within the agora are monuments that bring the past to life. Landmarks such as the Stoa Poikile or ‘Painted Stoa’, the Tyrannicides Statue and the Eponymous Heroes Statue line the Panathenaic Way across the Agora. These monuments depict important people and events in the historical and mythological past of Athens. It is in these monuments that Athens can physically show who they are.

The Tyrannicides: Harmodius & Aristogeiton

The procession ends atop the Akropolis. Among important monuments upon the Akropolis, such as the Erectheion and the Propylaia, stands the statue of Athena Parthenos inside the Parthenon. This is the most important monument along the Panathenaic procession because it is where the dedication of the peplos takes place. Here, Athenians dedicate a new robe (the peplos) to the statue of the goddess during each Panathenaic festival as a symbol of their praise and worship of their city goddess. The route that the Panathenaic Procession took displayed the excellence of Athens though the landmarks it passes and the route itself.

Map of Pantrinitonic Procession:

Trinity College Landmarks Passed By Procession:

Ferris Athletic Center – Athletic facilities for the Trinity community

Raether Library and Information Technology Center – over 172,000 square feet holding over 1 million volumes with computer science center

Admissions / Career Development – Starting point for all Trinity students and a stepping stone once graduated

Vernon Street – Home to much of the social life on campus. Including fraternities, cultural houses and the Vernon Social Center (currently under renovation)

President Jones’ House – House of the President of Trinity College. Located at the corner of Vernon Street and Summit Street.

Downes Memorial / Williams Memorial Building – Home to the Economic department and the offices of many of the important members of Trinity’s community.

Plaque dedicated by President Dwight D. Eisenhower – commemorates 1954 visit to campus. Located in front of Downes Memorial Clock Tower

The Chapel – constructed in 1933. The tallest point in the city of Hartford and the most imposing building on campus.

The Trinity College Chapel

Jarvis Hall & Northam Towers – constructed in 1881. Dormitory for Trinity upperclassmen.

Plaque dedicated by President Theodore Roosevelt – commemorates 1918 visit to campus. Located as a half-way point on the Long Walk and in front of Fuller Arch.

The Roosevelt Plaque

Statue of Bishop Thomas Brownell – founder of Trinity College. Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the United States for over 12 years. Bronze statue stands with one arm outstretched looking back at the Long Walk.

The Statue of Bishop Brownell

The Quad – one of the meeting places for the student body in the fall and spring. Bordered by the Long Walk, The Chapel, Cook & Goodwin Halls and Lower Long Walk.

4 Comments

• Dr. Risser,

How nice of you to arrange this fest on my birthday(even though I’m pretty sure that you did not know that it was my birthday). I hope today was a great success. One reason I became a Bantam was that a high school state Latin convention was held at Trinity when I was in high school and the campus mesmerized me. I hope the day went well.

Grace de Majewsk
    BA Classics 1985

• I precisely had to thank you very much all over again. I do not know what I might have made to happen without the actual creative ideas discussed by you regarding such concern. Certainly was a very horrifying condition in my opinion, but being able to see this specialised approach you solved the issue took me to leap with gladness. I’m just thankful for your guidance and as well , have high hopes you really know what a powerful job you happen to be accomplishing instructing men and women using your web page. I am certain you’ve never encountered all of us.

• This will be a excellent blog, will you be interested in doing an interview about how you developed it? If so e-mail me!