Alexa Mehraban ’13

DEGREE: B.A., double major in economics and writing, culture, and media studies (self-designed)

JOB TITLE: Founder, @EatingNYC

FAVORITE TRINITY MEMORY: One of the memories I come back to the most is sitting at my favorite cubicle on the second floor of the library overlooking the Lower Long Walk. More than anything, I value the education I received at Trinity, which I believe is truly unprecedented. I was challenged to think and learn in ways I know students at other institutions did not have the opportunity to do, and for this, I credit my current successes as a businesswoman.

What is @EatingNYC? EatingNYC is a food-focused digital brand that covers restaurants, home cooking, travel, and lifestyle in the New York City area. The Instagram account and blog boast more than 300,000 subscribers.

What did you do professionally before starting @EatingNYC, and what motivated you to go out on your own? I started EatingNYC shortly after graduating from Trinity College. At the time, I was a writer for a lifestyle website, Guest of a Guest. Here, I quickly found my passion in the restaurant industry and began working at Bullfrog + Baum, a restaurant marketing agency. EatingNYC had grown significantly during my tenure at the firm, but I wanted to build my career in the industry before going out on my own, so I went to work in-house for Tacombi restaurants as the director of marketing and communications. This was a great experience that allowed me to see the industry from a different perspective and gave me the confidence to pursue EatingNYC full time. It’s been about a year and a half now, and I’ve never looked back! I definitely feel that my understanding of the industry has been essential to my success and am extremely grateful for the road that has led me to where I am today.

How do you choose the restaurant openings you cover? I’m always searching for the latest and greatest in New York City. It is my mission to keep my finger on the pulse in terms of restaurant openings and new dishes in the New York area. There are so many restaurant openings every week in the city alone that keep me busy!

What do you enjoy most about your work? I love the autonomy I have as a business owner. Though it comes with many challenges, the freedom I have to explore and take initiative makes my job both exciting and fulfilling.

What are your biggest challenges? Negotiating deals, exploring new ways to grow my business, keeping up with the ever-changing digital landscape, and most importantly, learning how to say “no.”

Was there a professor who was particularly influential? [Senior Lecturer in Economics] Arthur Schneider. He was as dedicated to helping students as I was in understanding the subject matter and doing well in his classes. We spent countless hours reviewing theories and equations for “Industrial Organization” exams and working on my senior thesis. His tireless commitment to my learning inspired me to work my hardest.

What was the most memorable course you took at Trinity? “Women, Reproduction, and Power.” Though unrelated to my majors at Trinity, I appreciated the structure of the course and the invaluable life experiences I gained from my fieldwork at a local abortion clinic. To this day, I am grateful for how the course shaped my perspectives and role as a woman in society.