Looking Towards The Future: My Upcoming Summer 2016 Internship

As a second semester Junior, I’ve been watching my friends and roommates stress about interviews and applications for months. I’ve always felt a few steps behind, not 100% sure where I want to be or what I want to be doing. I have also never been the person to be calling incessantly for interviews or begging for a position on a team. I’m not sure why, that’s just never been my style. However, I’ve recently become a bit more confident in my ability to essentially sell myself to a person or company that I hope to work with. One day over Trinity Days, I spent hours sending out more e mails than I can remember, to employers in several different fields, all of which I could see myself happy with for a summer internship, or even a post-grad career.

I was fortunate enough to hear back from a handful of companies, and after a few interviews, I knew I had found the place where I want to spend my 2016 summer. In just a few short weeks, I will be starting my internship with Wein Interiors in Devon, Pennsylvania. It was a bitterly cold and dreary day when I had my interview, which truthfully ended up being more of an honest conversation and shared experience than I could’ve hoped. I met the two founders of the company, and their employer (previous college intern), and was embraced with open arms (literally, we all hugged). After that day, regardless of any other offers I may get, I knew that this was the right place for me.

They say when you’re making decisions such as a college to attend or a place to live, you sometimes have to base it all on a feeling, and that applies perfectly to my experience of recently solidifying a summer internship. I could not be more excited for this summer, I have a feeling it’s going to be a great one.