Sunday, May 27, 2018

Andy Rooney: A Need for the Trivial

By: Allison Pickens ’12

Managing Editor

Andrew Aitken Rooney, best known for his biting commentary on life’s trivial annoyances on 60 Minutes died on Friday, Nov. 4 following complications from a minor surgery. He was 92-years-old.
A television writer by trade, Rooney began appearing at the end of 60 Minutes in 1978 when 60 Minutes’ “Point/Counterpoint” was dropped. Entitled “A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney,” the segment showed Rooney sitting at a desk, discussing the various things he has been thinking about that week. 
His segment was trivial, as he spoke about annoying relatives, broken Christmas gifts, the price of groceries, and, I believe, Manilla folders. Although some claimed Rooney was senile and silly, his commentary offered the world exactly what they needed: a few minutes to look at the little things in life, a few minutes to forget the wars, famines, and economy and to bond over a long red light or bottled water brands.
In honor of Rooney’s legacy, I will give to you, my Tripod readers, “A Few Minutes with Allison Pickens.”
Sometimes we need to step back from our stressful lives and come together about our annoyances of life’s little problems.
So, take a break from writing that paper, studying for that test or visiting that library. 
Let’s all sweat the small stuff for the next 300 words or so.
1. The Gingko Trees – I am honored to walk along this beautiful campus every day, taking in the trees and architecture many people do not get to enjoy daily. If I may make one small suggestion, however, it would be to perhaps get rid of the Gingko trees near the Admissions Building. Or, at least hang some air fresheners off the branches, perhaps Yankee Candle’s “Apple Pie” scent to get the campus in a Thanksgiving mood.  The smell of vomit is just so jarring at 9 a.m. 
2. Sunday afternoons without the Bistro – I’m sure there are many legitimate reasons why the Bistro is closed until 6 p.m. on Sundays and I know I may be treading on spoiled brat territory here. However, Sunday afternoons without the Bistro are almost debilitating. Sometimes all you want on a Sunday is a Smitty, a Spicy Sicilian, and a “Hello” from Trevor.
3. The alarm of a door that has not been fully closed and locked – I appreciate Trinity’s security systems and their efforts to keep us safe. You should only be able to get into a dorm with a card and the door should be closed promptly behind you. I’m all for alarms, just not this one. Perhaps the alarm could be a nice computerized voice a la TomTom saying, “Please close the door, please close the door.” The screeching sound is just so jarring at 9 a.m.
4. Printers – I know this is not unique to Trinity but why oh why do all printers break when I need them? I can’t even count the number of times the Tripod printer has broken and, personally, I have had two printers die a slow papered death. I know nothing about the inner workings of these beasts but I’m beginning to believe they have a mind of their own. Are they on strike? Is there an Occupy Printers going on that I don’t know about? Whatever it is, I hope printers get better soon. It’s just so difficult to go to the library to print at 9 a.m.
There are countless other little annoyances we can all agree on – slow walkers, flavorless gum, mouth breathers, whatever it is that makes your inner Andy Rooney scream. But, let’s all take a moment and remember Andy Rooney because he gave us a break from the heavy-handed stresses and let us complain about the little ones. 
-ADP