Saturday, February 24, 2018

Students Dress in Best 90s Attire

By Hannah Holland ’15

Contributing Writer

The main reasonCOURTESY of Matt Mainuli '13  to attend Saturday night’s “Welcome Back 90s Dance,” hosted by the Student Government Association (SGA) was the fashion.  The hideous pre-2000 favorites such as Velcro sandals, flannel, and Sketchers filled the Ferris Athletic Center field house.  Returning to a time of Furbies and Tamagachis, students danced in a large metal cage in the center of the dance floor.  

Popularly sported by many Trinity students were the oh-so-classic Kurt Cobain flannel and “grunge” high-waisted shorts, purchased from American Apparel or, if you’re harder core and thriftier, the Salvation Army. Spaghetti strap tank-tops and nods to Clueless and Can’t Hardly Wait were seen in an abundance as well. I even saw, on more than one occasion, boys wearing denim from head to foot. This begs the question: 90’s style or just plain unfortunate?

Despite the critics who claim that the 90’s were a low point in music history, when S Club 7 and the Spice Girls started to play, even the hardest music critics sang along, reminiscing over childhood glory days.  Also played were Christina Aguilera, the Backstreet Boys, and pre-breakdown Britney.

Not only could students dance to old classics, but they could also play with Slinkies, a staple of the 90s, and take 90s themed Photobooth pictures with their friends. 

COURTESY of Matt Mainuli '13When the 90’s dance came to an end, so did the essence of the decade.  The worst part of the night came when my friends and I missed out on the pizza SGA provided the students.  However, if that was the biggest let down of the night, I would venture to say it was a pretty successful evening.

As we left Ferris and journeyed on to the next part of our night, accolades from each group of friends we passed could be heard all along the Long Walk raving about their night. Collectively, the student body spoke very highly of the 90’s dance. In my opinion I think that the dance was more successful than the 80s dance. There seemed to be a much larger turnout of people ready to truly, in the words of Aaron Carter, “bust out their moves like its MTV.”