Monday, August 19, 2019

Trinity holds 9/11 memorial service

Karisa Cernera ’14

News Editor 

Eleven years ago, the entire world was affected by the horrible tragedy that occurred on September eleventh. Last Tuesday, the Trinity College community came together to commemorate the memory of the horrific day. The event was held on the cave patio and was sponsored by the Student Government Association. Students sat and watched around the outskirts of the cave to listen to speeches by faculty and students.  Elevated on a small stage, President Jones, Chaplain Read and SGA president Dobromir Trifonov all addressed the crowd. Even after eleven years, students and faculty members were all still deeply affected by the tragedy and came to commemorate and to remember.

Dobromir started off the ceremony by imploring students and faculty to remember the people who were lost in the world trade center.

“Today is an occasion for us to gather as a community and remember. 9/11 is a tragedy that had a tremendous impact on all people not only in the United States, but also around the globe. It has forever changed our world and therefore it will always be remembered,” said Trifonov.

President Jones followed, by imploring students to remember the Trinity College alumni who were lost in the horrific event.

President Jones told the story of Scott Michael Johnson, a Trinity Alumni who was lost in the world trade center on September eleventh. Johnson graduated from Trinity College in 1997 before starting a jog at Keefe, Bruyette & Woods located in the World Trade Center. While trying to hold back tears, President Jones told students and faculty how Johnson called his father and left him a voicemail right before the towers were attacked. In memorial of Johnson’s death, his family created the Scott Michael Johnson Award in honor of his memory. Every year, this award is given to a member of the Young Professionals Committee, a subset of the Bachmann-Strauss Dystonia and Parkinson Foundation. The recipients must show dedication to helping the foundations and actively help to raise awareness for the disease.

Chaplain Read, ended the ceremony by reading a prayer for the audience and taking the time for silent prayer She implored students and faculty “to create a space” in their hearts for all of the victims of the horrible day. No matter if students attended the event or not, everyone on trinity’s campus was still deeply moved and affected on that Read also asked the Trinity community to remember not only the victims, but also all of the military personnel who have and still serve our country today.

“Sometimes when we get so involved in our daily lives, it becomes easy to forget about such a horrible tragedy. Because I am from New York I was deeply affected by the events that occurred on September eleventh, but I always make sure that I remember and pray for all of the people who were directly affected by the tragedy. I know that it was eleven years ago, but I still feel like it was yesterday. I am still deeply affected by the tragedy and I still become sad around this time of year,” said Briana Calcagno ’14.