Saturday, August 17, 2019

Trinity Football triumphs over Williams in Saturday’s game

Bart Harvey ’16

Contributing Writer

The Trinity College football team overcame a ten-point deficit in the fourth quarter to beat the Williams College Ephs this past Saturday. Both teams came off blowout wins as Trinity defeated Bates 37-16 and Williams downed Colby 42-7. The Ephs had a daunting task in slowing down an offense that amassed 427 total yards against Bates. Meanwhile, the Bantams secondary were kept busy by Williams quarterback Adam Marske, who threw for 295 yards against Colby.

The Ephs were the first ones to strike converting on a 4th and goal for a one-yard touchdown run by running back Marco Hernandez with 3:19 left in the first quarter. This capped a 92-yard drive after the Ephs had blocked the Bantams’ field goal attempt on the opening drive of the game. Williams soon increased their lead by tacking on a 34-yard field goal to make the score 10-0. Trinity was finally able to get on the board with 9:30 remaining in the first half on a 37-yard field goal by kicker Tim Costello ’13. Williams answered with a field goal of their own from 43 yards out to make it 13-3.

With four minutes remaining in the half, the Bantams offense was able to put together a quick drive allowing the Bantams to attempt another field goal at the end of the half. But the Ephs came up with their second blocked field goal of the game to keep their ten-point lead heading into halftime. The Bantams went into the second half down 13-3.

After a defensive third quarter with no scoring the Bantams decided to roll the dice by going for it on 4th and inches from their own 37-yard line. The quarterback sneak by Ryan Burgess ’13 was successful and the Bantams used that momentum to go on a 11-play, 68-yard drive. Following a holding penalty, running back Evan Bunker ’14 scampered for a 23-yard run to put the Bantams in Williams’ territory. Burgess soon connected with wide receiver A.J. Jones ’14 in the back corner of the end zone for a 23-yard touchdown pass.

Feeling the momentum, Trinity’s defense was able to make a quick three-and-out to force the Ephs to punt. The Bantams got the ball back with 11 minutes left in the fourth quarter and were helped by Bunker’s punt return of 22 yards to put the offense in good field position.

Head Coach Jeff Devanney then decided to include some trickery by calling a half back pass on third down, in which Bunker connected with wide receiver Andrew Grombala ’13 for 23-yards to keep the drive alive. After a costly unnecessary roughness call, the Bantams were facing 3rd and 20 on the Williams’ 45-yard line. The Burgess-Jones tandem struck again as Burgess found Jones on a screen pass that went for a 45-yard touchdown. Jones was able to overcome his first half woes by forgetting his dropped passes and catching two touchdowns passes for a total of 68 yards.

The defense was able to protect the lead by forcing another three-and-out, by ending on a huge sack by linebacker Steve Goniprow ’14. The Bantams were able to run the rest of the clock out on the legs of Bunker, who accumulated a total of 165 yards on the ground. The Bantams’ defense was heavily tested this week, giving up 198 yards through the air after allowing only 17 yards last week. The team will look to stay more disciplined as they were marred by eight penalties for 72 yards. Special teams also suffered some miscues, as two field goals were blocked and suffering a muffed punt. Trinity will look to stay unbeaten in the New England Small College Athletic Conference and carry their momentum into their matchup next Saturday, Oct. 6 at Hamilton at 1:00 p.m.

Leave a reply