Saturday, February 23, 2019

At the season’s end, Field Hockey’s hopeful for an NCAA bid

Stevie Griglak ’13

Contributing Writer

With an impressive 7-3-0 conference finish and an 11-4 overall record, the women’s field hockey team anticipates a potential National Collegiate Athletic Conference (NCAA) bid this year.  The hosting Bantams fell to No. 14-ranked Amherst 3-2 in double overtime last Saturday, eliminating them from the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) tournament. 

This game marks Trinity’s second postseason meeting with Amherst, where they finished with a 1-0 win over the Lord Jeffs in the 2008 quarterfinals. Trinity, who finished fifth (6-4-0) in their 2011 season faced Tufts in the quarterfinals, a familiar foe of the postseason tournament, and came out on top with a 2-1 win in double overtime.

Despite the Bantams previous 1-0 win over the Lord Jeffs in regular season and outshooting them 26-16 in the quarterfinals, Amherst junior Krista Zsitvay netted the winning goal on a penalty corner with just over eight minutes remaining in double overtime. 

Trinity had a strong start to their season winning five straight games in two weeks, while a majority of them were at least a two-goal difference.  Trinity continued their success with another four game winning streak and only intermittent losses, which pushed the Bantams into the NESCAC tournament with an 11-3 record.

With 37 total goals scored and 20 against, the Bantams showed strong offensive and defensive performances.  Senior forward Hadley Duncan, who scored both goals against the Lord Jeffs last Saturday, follows up on the conclusion of their season. “This season was by far my favorite. The girls were unbelievable, this team was by far the closest field hockey team I’ve been on. I’m really happy with the results of this season, although we came up short we did very well.” Duncan led the team with goals scored, totaling a career high of twelve over the course of her final season.

This 2012 season marked Coach Anne Parmenter’s 12th season with the Bantams, tallying a 93-77-conference record over the course of her time at Trinity.  Junior forward Paige Duke added a goal to the Bantam’s 3-0 victory over UMass Dartmouth two weeks ago, which sealed Coach Parmenter’s 200th career win. “I think our coaches are upset that we didn’t go as far as we could. I think we all wanted to get a chance to play Middlebury another time. But they are proud of how we came together as a team and conquered the many battles we came across,” Duncan said of her coach’s postseason reflections.

Junior defender Sarah Duncan, who has totaled five goals and seven assists for the Bantams, was a key member of the defensive line. “I think we played well overall and it was an evenly matched game, we just couldn’t get the ball in the cage.  We had lots of chances, especially in overtime, but none bounced our way,” Duncan commented on the heartbreaking quarterfinal loss. “It’s definitely frustrating that we beat Amherst in the regular season, and after pulling out such a great regular season record it’s tough to have the season end so suddenly.”

In reflecting on the team’s goals for the 2012 season, Duncan quoted, “We were hoping to make it farther than we did, considering we made it to the semis for the past two years, so losing in the quarterfinals was definitely disappointing.  Looking past that, we grew a lot closer as a team this year and developed a great foundation for next season.”

The Bantams anticipate an at-large NCAA bid, albeit both Hadley and Duncan remark that they are somewhat apprehensive about the team’s nomination. “I don’t want to get my hopes up because I think that the likely chance of us getting a bid is not that high, but our fingers are crossed!” says Duncan.

Trinity’s seniors and co-captains Haley Thompson ’13, Lauren Slattery ’13 and Duncan have led the Bantams to successful seasons throughout their time and have left a significant mark on the field hockey program, although their final season may unfortunately be cut short.