Saturday, February 24, 2018

Dean Lindsey retires after 11 years as Dean of First Year Program

By: Cara Munn ’15

Contributing Writer

This past week on December 3 , the Trinity College community was informed that Dean Lindsey will be retiring in May. After serving 11 years as the dean of the first year program, Lindsey will leave Trinity behind to pursue other endeavors. Students and faculty are saddened by the announcement. “Dean Lindsey has continually impressed me with the guidance, support and friendship she offers students at Trinity. Being one of Dean Lindsey’s advisees during my first two years at Trinity was a wonderful experience and I can’t think of a better person to have led the First-Year Program,” said Erica Bertoli ’14 who had dean Lindsey as a freshman mentor. Faculty members also are very sad to see Dean Lindsey go, but wish her luck on the next journeys in her life. She has been an immensely capable Dean, managing the first year seminars, helping to choose the first year book, organizing June Days, advising, and taking the numerous phone calls from parents anxious about their children as they arrive at the College,” said G. Keith Funston Professor of English and American Studies and Dean of Faculty and Vice President for Academic Affairs Rena Fraden. According to Fraden’s email to the campus community, the next year will be a transition for the first year program here at Trinity. “We do not expect to make any large changes to the First Year Program except in reconfiguring, for this transitional year, who will manage which areas of the Program,” said Fraden in her email to the campus community. She will be deeply missed by her students.“I have known Dean Lindsay since my freshman year, and she has been an incredible mentor to me. Although she is no longer my advisor I know she will always be available to give advice with whatever I may need. She is so caring and passionate about teaching. Without her my Trinity experience would not nearly have been as successful as it has been,” said Madeleine Dickinson ’14. The implementation committee for building community will be restructuring the duties of staff who work in Student Life, devising a House System that is somehow involved with student advising, and restructuring the first year program at Trinity.