Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Fullbridge Program: Two Trinity students share their experiences

by 

Olivia French ’14  and Henry Moorehead ’14

Olivia: As a senior with graduation fast approaching, my experience in the Business Immersion Track of The Fullbridge Program this past January proved to be invaluable in shaping my future. Fullbridge is an intensive 16-day boot camp that is well worth the learning experience that helped me to improve upon the skills necessary to excel in any profession. Not only did I learn how to perfect my time management skills, how to give an effective oral presentation, and how to perform business analyses, learning to work in a team-focused environment was the most beneficial take-away for me. Fullbridge does a great job of simulating the real challenges of a workplace. Everyday we were assigned deliverables, to be completed among our teams, which ultimately built up to a final presentation. Because these tasks were often due under tight deadlines and required outside research, they really pushed me to learn how to collaborate with my team and best apply my strongest skills to get everything done on time. After completing the final team project, I acquired hands on skills and applications and felt very well prepared for the transition into a team-focused business environment. I can’t speak highly enough about the Fullbridge team. As top executives and professors from elite business schools, they all have a vast amount of experience in the field of business that they are more than willing to share. It was great to hear about all of their different paths to success and reassuring to discover that even they had their little missteps along the way. Communicating with the team made the uncertainty about the future much more exciting and a little less daunting. In addition to their experience and success, everyone at Fullbridge is so friendly, encouraging, and enthusiastic about working with us. They created a very warm learning environment, which made it that much easier to get moving every day. Open lines of communication are encouraged, even beyond the program. I feel more than comfortable reaching out to anyone at Fullbridge with any questions I may have about my career in the future. The Fullbridge Program also helped me to identify a career vision for myself. They helped me to narrow down the vast, ever-changing world of global business and point me in the right direction towards a career that combines my interests with my strongest skills. Also, it’s a great opportunity to perfect your resume, cover letters, and interviewing and networking skills, which is always helpful. Overall, I had a great experience at Fullbridge and would highly recommend it!

Henry: I first heard about the Fullbridge program right on Trinity’s campus. Last year during my sophomore spring semester, The Fullbridge Program visited campus, hosted by the Career Development Center. Reading the brief description through the school-wide email that the Career Development Center sent out, I thought to myself, “Why not give it a shot and see what this is all about?” I was already scrambling to try and figure out what to do over the summer, so I thought this might be helpful. It was. More than I can explain. After attending the event, I was astonished by the amazing life stories of Candice and Peter Olson, the founders and co-CEO’s of the program. The most amazing part about it was hearing about their unconventional path to success and their ultimate advice of following your passion and not being afraid to throw yourself into different opportunities. Like Olivia, I completed the Business Immersion Track last June in Boston. I lived with 16 other college students from around the country and each morning we would wake up and begin our workday. Essentially there were two sessions, one in the morning from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and then another from 2 pm-6 p.m. The whole program was based on a simulated work environment in which each student is treated like a young professional and must complete the projects and turn in deliverables before the deadlines at the end of each session. Given that much of the work we did was both individual and team based assignments, we were presented with a wealth of information. One very practical skill that I learned through my Fullbridge experience was how to take large amounts of information and synthesize it down in order to submit a quality product by the deadline. You are probably asking yourself right now, what is this program really about? Well, I can tell you from experience that Fullbridge has not only opened the gates for me on Trinity’s campus academically, but it has also opened up a great professional network. Last summer I learned a great deal about what it is really like to work under pressing deadlines in a business environment and collaborate with students to attack real world problems. If you would like to learn more about the program go to http://www.fullbridge.com/program or feel free to reach out to me or Olivia. The next application deadline is Monday, March 4.