Saturday, February 17, 2018

21st annual ACES auction is a success

By Alie Schreiber ’13

Staff Writer

This past Thursday, March 7, in Mather Dining Hall, ACES (Annual Community Event Staff) held their 21st annual community service auction. ACES, headed up by Gracie Phillips ’13 and Emily Howe ’13, runs all of the major community service events and fundraisers on campus.

According to the presidents, “over the past twenty years, this event has raised tens of thousands of dollars for local nonprofit organizations, including Youth United for Survival, St. Agnes Home, Immaculate Conception Shelter, Peter’s Retreat, Interval House, and HartBeat Ensemble. This year ACES will be raising money for My Sister’s Place, a shelter that exclusively serves and supports local women and children, as well as the Trinity College Chapter of Habitat for Humanity, a group that works to provide affordable housing to families in need throughout the U.S.”

Groups and individuals from the Trinity community as well as off campus businesses all came together to donate items to be auctioned off. Some of the items that were auctioned this year included: employee parking passes, personalized signed footballs from Bill Belichick (Head Coach of the New England Patriots), and gift certificates to The Tap, Firebox, Arch Street Tavern, Plan B Burger, Wings Over Hartford, Piolin, and J Bar and Restuarant. Many items were grouped together in a themed package. In addition, a few fabulous pieces of jewelry were auctioned off, including a freshwater pearl necklace donated by Ali Bazar ’15 and her family, and a pair of button earrings made and designed by Emma Jesberg ’13.

This year at the auction the biggest ticket items were the two faculty parking passes (good until you graduate) and the two personalized signed footballs. These four items alone sold for just over $2,000. One of the winners of the custom football, Samantha Montalbano ’13, said, “I was so excited that I won the football! My mom, sister and I are all huge Patriots fans and we all love Bill. I jumped at the chance to get a wonderful gift for me and my family while helping a great cause. It felt like a win-win situation!” Another popular item that was auctioned were private concerts by Trinity a capella groups including the Trinitones, the Quirks, and the Accidentals.

This event was not only a great way to raise money but it was also entertaining. This year the auctioneers were two members of Trinity’s Moveable Joints – Nick Reichheld ’15 and Liam Doran ’14. They provided a humorous voice to this amazing cause. Phillips stated, “It’s been sort of a tradition for the past few years that a couple members of the Moveable Joints host for us. Nick and Liam did a great job this year!” With such incredible items up for auction this event was one of the most successful in ACES history. ACES would like to thank everyone who donated, attended, and bid at this year’s auction. Phillips ’13 also said: “The ACES Auction has always been one of my favorite annual events. It was so fun to watch the bidding wars get really heated. This year was just as fun and it was great to see so many people excited for the event!”