Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Trinity Bantam Athlete of the Week: Abby Ostrom, Ice Hockey

by Brian Nance ’16

“My most exciting hockey moment was scoring the game tying goal in our first game against Bowdoin last year and then coming back the next day to score the game winning goal also against Bowdoin,” states Abby Ostrom ’14

Ostrom is a leader on the Trinity College women’s ice hockey team and a great representation of a student athlete at Trinity. The senior left wing wears #14 for the Bantams and has tallied up numerous accolades on her athletic résumé, one of which being the feat she pulled off against the Polar Bears, who were leading the NESCAC standings at the time. The two time Jewish All-American ended last season tied for third on Trinity’s leaderboards for game-winning goals as she scored a team high of four. Abby is on track to finish her final season at Trinity as one of the team’s most valuable players.

The American studies major is involved in numerous activities off the ice as she also plays Varsity Softball, works as an Admissions Assistant, and is a Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC) representative here at Trinity. She juggles all of those activities along with enjoying her interest in freelance photography and even being the head coach of a 14u summer travel softball team.
Olstrom hails from Carlisle, Mass and attended the Loomis Chaffee School located in Windsor, Conn where she was the captain of her prep hockey team. Growing up, she played a variety of sports including field hockey, soccer, baseball/softball, as well as ice hockey. She was young when she first laced up the skates and had this to say when I asked her about what made hockey stand out from other sports. “My brother and dad both played hockey, so I started skating at three and playing hockey at five. I really liked being a part of a team and I enjoyed the mental aspect of the game.” Olstrom admits that her parents are among her biggest mentors as they have been very supportive of her athletic career.

She began playing travel hockey at the age of eight, playing for two different travel teams as well as a third team in a youth hockey league. “The combination of the three programs aided my development as a hockey player and as a person,” says Olstrom. However, once she started high school, she ended her travel hockey playing days as she began her career in the NEPSAC/Founders League that Loomis competed in. Looking back on her high school experience, Olstrom remarked, “Loomis definitely helped prepare me for the collegiate level… I learned how to balance my academic and athletic responsibilities.” She finds that she was well-fashioned to take on the NESCAC after being a member of the NEPSAC for four years.

The women’s hockey team has had some big moments so far this season while currently holding a record of 10-5-3 through 18 games. Reminiscing on her career as a Bantam, Olstrom said, “My favorite team moment was beating Amherst for the first time in program history my sophomore year. It was an awesome game and a team effort and a game I will remember for a long time,”

Abby Olstrom will be playing her last regular season game in a Trinity jersey on Feb. 22 against Wesleyan.