Friday, May 25, 2018

Trinity College Bantams Athlete of the Week: Kyle McGuire

Brian Nance ’16

STAFF WRITER

“To be totally honest, I thought I was shooting for the stars when I made my goals but now I’m feeling confident and I think I belong on the podium in Iowa.”

Last week on March 2nd, Junior Kyle McGuire ’15 wrestled his way to the top of the NCAA Division III Northeast Regional Championship as he earned the heavyweight title. McGuire was truly underestimated, despite his great success all season, as he entered the tournament unranked. The Bantam took down four wrestlers at the Wesleyan field house, including the number one ranked Lance Moore from the State University of New York at Cortland. McGuire, along with his teammate Petros Hologitas ’14, are headed to Cedar Rapids, Iowa to represent Trinity in the 2014 NCAA Division III Wrestling Championship.

The Mansfield, Massachusetts native has been wrestling since the fifth grade. The heavyweight wrestler, and nose guard on the football team, has always been a big guy as in his youth he decided to stray away from certain sports and take on a sport he sought to be more suitable. “Basketball wasn’t really my thing, so when my parents saw a flyer for youth wrestling they brought me to a practice and I was pretty good early on,” recalls McGuire. “I stuck with it on and off until 8th grade when I started wrestling more competitively and practicing five days a week.”

Kyle’s decision paid off as he continued to wrestle throughout his high school career and ultimately won the state championship title. Last season brought great success for McGuire, as he led his team in both wins and winning percentage, while having the third highest number of pins for the Bantams. As all athletes do, McGuire planned on improving an aspect of his game during this past offseason. It just so happened that his offseason football training coincided with his goals of getting bigger and stronger which has aided him in being successful this season.

Coming into this season, Kyle set his sights on winning the regional championship and becoming an All American. He accomplished his first goal in dramatic fashion last week. Heading into the final match against Lance Moore, McGuire said he felt very relaxed which differed from his usual nervous feelings. “I realized I could hang with him and my thoughts went from ‘wrestle tough’ to ‘you better win this.’ After the match I was ecstatic,” says Kyle. “It sort of hit me that it was the biggest win of my career and that I had just wrestled the best tournament of my life.”

The championship will be held at the US Cellular Center on March 14 – 15 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa where Cornell (Iowa) will be the host. A live stream will be available to watch our fellow Bantams take on the top Division III wrestlers in the country. Be sure to watch and cheer on McGuire as he attempts to keep his momentum rolling and stand on top of another championship podium while establishing his name as an All American.