Thursday, May 24, 2018

Bantam Multi-Sport Athlete of the Week: Y’osa Nosamiefan ’17

By Brian Nance ’16, Staff Writer

“My most exciting track moment at Trinity so far has to be the speech that Coach Mason gave our 4×4 relay squad right before breaking the Trinity College record. I cannot recall exactly what he said, I just know that it was enough for us to dig deep and perform,” says Y’osa Nosamiefan ’17.

Digging deep and performing is exactly what these Bantams did. Earlier this season, at the 2014 David Hemery Valentine Invitational at Boston University, the men’s track and field 4×400 relay team beat Trinity’s 4×400 school record with a time of 3:23.56. On that relay team is the six foot two inch freshman, Y’osa Nosamiefan. Y’osa has proved that he is a force to be reckoned with in the NESCAC and will continue to be in his many years to come. 

In his rookie season alone, Y’osa has consistently finished as one of the top contenders in the majority of the events that he competes in.

You may already be a bit familiar with Y’osa as the track standout who also contributed to the football team’s success in the fall. On the field, Y’osa wears number 16 and locks down receivers as cornerback.

On the track, he participates in various events including the long jump, the 55-meter dash, the 60-meter dash, the 200-meter dash and the 400-meter dash. Y’osa elaborates on how he handles being a two sport athlete, “Being on two separate teams here at Trinity is a bit challenging, it can be difficult to balance the in-season of one team and the off-season of the other. I feel, however, that the track team with the leadership of Coach Suitor and Coach Mason are very receptive to new members.”

A Boston native, Y’osa grew up mainly playing soccer and running track until he began his tenure at Boston College High School. 

He started track in the fifth grade and it was in high school that he chose to play football instead of soccer due to their conflicting seasons.  Reminiscing on his beginning track days, Y’osa states, “I always enjoyed running, but I really fell in love with long jump because when jumping, I am basically competing against myself. I can go at my own pace. My older brother also jumped with me in high school so we would always compete against each other.”

Y’osa has already earned his title as one of the best long jumpers in the NESCAC as he was recently recognized as amongst the top jumpers competing for this year’s league championship crown. We can look forward to continued success from Y’osa because this is merely the conclusion of his first season.

Be sure to support the men and women’s track teams as they head to Springfield College on May 2 to compete in the New England Division III Championship.  Additionally, Y’osa hopes to lead the Bantams to the NCAA Division III National Championship on May 22 at Ohio Wesleyan University.  The athletic performances of Y’osa Nosamiefan in football as well as track have certainly been remarkable this year.