Monday, May 21, 2018

Men’s Lacrosse ends season with nail-biter against Amherst



This past Wednesday the Men’s Lacrosse squad marched out to Jessee Miller Field for their last match of the 2014-15 season, and the last time eleven seniors would put on their Bantam uniforms. Needless to say, emotions were running high, and the boys came out firing at the start of the game, taking a quick 3-0 lead in just over four and half minutes of play. On the opposing bench stood Amherst College, and despite sporting their hideous school color scheme, and having arguably the worst mascot on the East Coast (The Lord Jefferies), the team has had a strong season and came into the match with only one loss to Middlebury back in March.  However, the game is not played on paper, and it was clear from the opening faceoff, that the team was ready to compete.

The Bantams got on the board first with an unassisted goal from midfielder Michael McQuiston ’16 who blasted it by Amherst’s corn-fed keeper out of Kentucky, Cody Tranbarger. McQuiston would go on to have a career day, and continued to give Tranbarger trouble throughout the game.  The Bantams scored two more quick goals to give them a 3-0 lead at the start of the game.  But Amherst battled back, and had a four goal run later in the quarter to end the first leg of the game at five goals apiece.  This quarter would foreshadow a long, back-and-forth offensive showcase for the remainder of the game that would have six ties and seven lead changes.

In the second quarter, both teams went on a set of consecutive goals, that resulted in a 9-7 lead for the Lord Jeffs heading into halftime. Amherst goalie Tranbarger and backup goalie out of Memphis, Tennessee, Rob Dickinson, headed out of the locker room early for warm-ups while fondly exchanging stories from their youth. Tranbarger was overheard reminiscing his first time cow tipping, and Dickinson was quick to counter with a riveting tale of his first kiss on the local hay bale ride. The two’s combined 47 cousins all made an appearance, and made up over half of the Amherst fan section.

Trinity came out of the halftime with a fast break and dominated the third quarter, outscoring Amherst 5-1. Michael McQuiston put an exclamation point on the quarter by putting his sixth goal of the day past Farmer Tranbarger. This time it was Trinity who went into the break with a two goal lead, 12-10.  The stage was set for an exciting final quarter filled with a lot of goal scoring.

After starting the fourth quarter with three unanswered goals, Amherst took a 13-12 lead with just over five minutes left in the contest.  Trinity knotted it up again just a minute later, and it appeared that the game would be headed to overtime until Amherst middie Connor Sheehan ‘18 scored off an assist from Quinn Maroney ‘16.  Maroney had six assists in the game, however his performance was overshadowed by Trinity’s McQuiston’s six goals.  Mutual friends of Maroney report his girlfriend changed her Facebook status to “it’s complicated” after receiving a copy of the stats sheet.  The Bantams were left with a bad taste in the their mouth, capping the season off with a loss on Senior Day. The Lord Jeffs left with the taste of hush puppies in their mouths, courtesy of Tranbarger and Dickinson.

On a serious note, it’s a disappointing loss, and not the way any team wants to end their season.  Despite a 4-11 record on paper, Trinity battled all season and had several close games against formidable opponents that don’t show up on the score sheet. The team combated injuries all season long, and while the team graduates eleven seniors, there is a ton of talent amongst the younger players, and a lot of potential for the coming seasons.

Leave a reply