How to lie with maps

In merging school district racial data from the Sheff v. O’Neil case with Connecticut town boundaries, I was able to create two maps that showed two different understandings of racial diversity with the same data. In order to manipulate the maps to show two distinct racial breakdowns while maintaining the legitimacy of the maps, I altered the colors and gradients. This looks like two different representations of racial diversity in Connecticut with the exact same data.

In order to show a sharp racial divide, I used two categories. This allowed me to pair one against the other and show sharp racial contrast and polarity. By only using black and white, the two categories showed a stark contrast in racial diversity. To show widespread diversity, I included four categories with different gradients of a similar color. This made the map blend more and harder to distinguish between groups. More categories and gradation makes it difficult to see a stark contrast even though the data is exactly the same as the first map.

A:Widespread Racial Diversity and Key:

B: Stark Racial Divide and Key: