What our discussion group hopes to learn

We asked applicants, “Why did you select this digital course, and what do you want to learn from this discussion group?” Here’s some excerpts compiled by Jim Trostle, which give you some sense of the group as a whole, before we’ve had our first conversation:

-My intuition is that new technology is a major disequilibrium element that might cause major, widespread change in the market for selective higher education. I would like to be part of the conversation and of the process, rather than just watch it happen from the sidelines.

-I am interested in this discussion since online and digital courses are suddenly very trendy, and I think it would be worthwhile to share concrete experiences so that we can better separate the hype from the reality.

-I have always wanted to try one of these, but have been a real skeptic. So you gave me the incentive to try it out and see if I was wrong!

-I am interested in seeing how applied statistics can be taught in an online format.  I hope to learn how to convey seemingly complicated course material to a broad audience with limited exposure to statistical analysis.

-I am very interested in seeing how the content is delivered and assessed in this on-line format, and whether any of the modules would be useful in a blended learning environment.  I have begun to incorporate web elements into my teaching to reinforce lecture concepts and provide students with additional opportunities for practice, and my initial observations suggest that these online components can result in improved student performance (and the students seem to enjoy them).  I am also curious to see how the virtual laboratory component is delivered in the OLI course.

-I am very interested in the notion of blended learning, which has successful been used in mathematics courses at other institutions. Though the course I am enrolled in is not a blended course, I believe that it will give me online experience that will help me to more successful explore blended learning in my courses at Trinity.

-I picked this course because I’m interested in learning this material from an engineering viewpoint and because I want to see what it is like to take an online course.

-I selected this course because I’m very interested in the mechanics of how communities develop online, and it seems like this course offers a new perspective to how connections between participants are made. I think it will be valuable to have an informed perspective on the “nuts and bolts” of how these associations are formed. From the discussion group, I’m hoping to learn more about how Trinity can take advantage of some aspects of the “virtual classroom,” while maintaining the advantage of the traditional classroom experiences that a largely residential campus like Trinity offers its undergraduates

-I hope this course will give me a better understanding of the process and theory behind designing a blended course. I hope participating in the discussion group will help gain even more insights from different perspectives so I can better support the various needs of faculty and students as we move more and more materials online.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.